Bed Compartments (similar to old "camper special")

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I want to build something like this.

You must be registered for see images

I am not sure I want to extend the box into the bed inside though. Also maybe have 3 doors on each side instead of 1 big one. I only want the space for stuff like fluids, recovery gear, and rigging etc. Nothing too bulky. I think I can get away with ~3 inches of depth or more.

The grand question is to those who have done more sheetmetal hacking than me... Does anybody know how much space there is to our beds between the outer skin and the inner layer of sheet? I was planning on taking a sawzall to some old beat up bed at the junkyard but this would be an easier way to find out. Oh... this is for an '84 truck, if the beds are different with the years.

Any other ideas? Anythign stupid I overlooked that will make my bed collapse in on itself? Thanks

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Those systems are pretty sweet, but there's a reason they have to extend into the bed some as there's not much space inbetween the layers towards the top tof the bed. They can still fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in there since they basically just smooth up the insides to the inner edges of the wheel wells.

Last edited:

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I realize that... and It would be a worst case scenario for me... to chop it down to 48" between the sides. I am not looking for service body type storage... with 3", I could get away with ALOT of supplies that would othewise clutter my cab or require me having a truckbox eating more space from my load.

I want to maintain as much bed space as possible as this will still be a proper hauler... moving all kinds of odd shaped things. You never know when an extra couple of inches in the bed will make something a whole hell of a lot easier.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
You never know when an extra couple of inches in the bed will make something a whole hell of a lot easier.

That just sounds wrong!

Seriously though, Are you talking about just going straight down from the inside edges of the bed rails?

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
yes, yes it does sound quite wrong... always funny to see how things sound different at a second glance

I think what you are decribing is what I am thinking about. I am not too familiar with the construction of a sheet bed. What I am wondering is if I literally chop the outside skin and add hinges and latches... will this provide any usable space? or will it be like only an inch deep?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
What I am wondering is if I literally chop the outside skin and add hinges and latches... will this provide any usable space? or will it be like only an inch deep?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any space between the outer body panel and the inside of the bed.

If you could cut the sheet metal to fit the wheel well, it could be mig welded to the floor of the bed and the insides of the bed rails. That would give you 3 to 4 inches of space, the entire length of the bed.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
There's not enough useable space provided for what you have in mind to do without sacrificing bed space. Take a peek up under the back side.

Now on the older 70's era truck with the built in storage compartments, something like that would be feasible to do.;Sweet

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Smart me did nto think about looking at it from underneath.I'll check it out when I get home.

Now the question is how far to expand? All the way to the wheel well? would it be silly to take it only halfway? I certainly need at least the 48" inside... but more is always nice.

Also.. opinions on logistics as to one single big door like pictured or to break up to mabe 3 per side? Maybe 2 vertically hinged and one horizontally hinged on top to make a work surface?

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
My older brother begins hitting me after the 5th or 6th "that's what she said" :backoff

As for how many doors??? 3 sounds good to me, one big one might require bracing because of the large area of flimsy sheet metal, and 3 would section the side nicely as you thought about. But I don't know if the 16-18 ga. sheet metal would be suffice for a working surface though.

Of course, I have a flatbed, so all I have to do is run to TSC and buy a couple underbody boxes. :D

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Flatbed concept has been considered. under boxes would have to be pretty short for clearance issues as this truck will be a very capable wheeler. For me it will likely be easier and cheaper to modify the existing bed. I don't worry about looks at all so hacking it up will not be an issue.

As far as the doors... would be braced. And the working surface would not be so much a working surface as a... surface. A place for a small camping stove or maybe to keep some tools off the ground while working on a bike... junk like that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online

No members online now.