BD Exhaust brake???

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd need some fab work for sure - note that one side is the 5 bolt turbo flange, not a v-band.

Also might want to check the backpressure setup. I know on the US Gear units there's a 35 psi and a 50 psi model for different engines, not sure how the BD regulates pressure though.

Never played with a BD brake, but I absolutely love my US Gear brake. Very useful for towing.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
there was a nice thread on FTE that talked about things to take into consideration when using an exhaust brake on an IDI. let me find it for you.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The mounting to your system is the hard part. Like posted. That unit looks like it mounts directly to the turbo housing. But I know you can fab something to make it work.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The mounting to your system is the hard part. Like posted. That unit looks like it mounts directly to the turbo housing. But I know you can fab something to make it work.

Ya a Plate that bolts to that mount, and a 3" tube and V band clamp on that welded to the plate! Or I can build a tube with two Vband clamps and fab a controller bracket that fits the shaft and mount that to the tube and pass the rod through tube and reinstall butterfly.

I sent a link to a good friend whom has the correct year truck a deck/tow truck who is local and may like to get it.

$150 is what he would take he said DOH....I so want to have an exhaust brake too....

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disagree with the conclusion on that thread

1) Exhaust brake will cause head gasket failure. Huh? Exhaust brake is 35 psi. Compression is 400+ psi. Might cause exhaust manifold gasket or turbo seal failure but not head gasket. Incidentally the turbo is going to give you 10-15 psi of back pressure (under max boost) anyway, so we already know it can take that pressure.

2) Exhaust brake cause piston damage. Again, ***??? Having exhaust brake on at full throttle sure, but at idle going downhill? Hardly. There's minimal fuel injection, so where's the heat coming from????

All the exhaust brake does is restrict the exhaust so the engine acts like an air pump and absorbs power compressing the exhaust. No combustion, no heat, no excessive pressure.

The only thing to be concerned about on the IDI is the high manifold pressure causing the exhaust valves to float and hit the pistons. This is why the 35 psi brake is used and not the 50 psi one. Also a very easy thing to fix, just upgrade the valve springs.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So how does a real jake brake work on the main line semis. Does it lock out the exhaust valves or what... I really have never known how they work.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The traditional Jake brake works by opening the exhaust valve just after TDC on the power stroke. This vents the compression pressure. A significant amount of power is consumed during the compression stroke to compress the air, (as you'd expect - compressing that large of volume to 400+ psi take a fair amount of force - 2 1/2 tons per piston for the IDI) but then the air expands again on the power stroke and all that power is recovered.

The Jake interrupts this 'recovery cycle' so the energy that went into compressing the cylinder charge is lost. This is also why a Jake has a loud distinctive noise - you're venting high pressure air.

The Jake unit is essentially a small master/slave piston setup with the master run off the injection cam and the slave setup to force open the exhaust valve. This is why you can't run a true Jake on an IDI - no injection cam to use. You also have problems with the hydraulic lifters. Most heavy duty trucks have mechanical lifters so poping the exhaust valve doesn't cause problems. On a hydraulic lifter engine the lifters would pump up as soon as you did that and would then hold the valve open causing valve/piston collision..... :eek: