battery relocation

rthomas

Reaction score
my buddy that owns my old 86 is planning to do an intercooler soon so in prep for this we wanted some more room for tubes in the front (wide radiator). it was also time for new batts, we pretty much figured the only place we could move them to was under the bed on the pass. side outboard of the frame, originaly we were going to use one 4d batt. but when we went shopping we found a far better deal on an 8d with what they called "cascading posts"- basicly its a sidepost battery and perfect for this app. the 8d is overkill by a bit but why not? we fabbed a battery tray to fit the space, of course that is a bit different, the battery mounts in the tray and then the tray is jacked up and bolted to the frame. wiring isnt done yet but we plan on putting a batt switch through the pass side floor near the lower seatbelt mount and running a heavy power lead up to a "power point" where the original pass side batt used to mount. i'll get som pics soon

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see what battery switch you come up with that will handle 2000 amps. I've seen those in locomotives and that's about it. Take pics. We're gonna want to see them. Keep in mind I did my intercooler without drilling any holes or moving anything.
You must be registered for see images

rthomas

Reaction score
not sure what the amp rating is on the switch but its the same one we use in the big trucks at work. we're having the cables made, size 0 i think? hopefully the cables will be done on monday and i can get some pics of it complete

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
should be hard to find a battery switch if you have trouble just look for marine ones. weve got switches on boats with 8 8ds.