Battery Maintainer/Tender/Minder/Charger

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone keep their batteries on an automatic trickle charger? Benefits, results, or not? Is there a preferred battery to hook it up to?

I don't drive my truck as much as I did previously and want to extend the life of the batteries as much as possible.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone keep their batteries on an automatic trickle charger? Benefits, results, or not? Is there a preferred battery to hook it up to?

I don't drive my truck as much as I did previously and want to extend the life of the batteries as much as possible.

my dad has a tractor and a forklift that has solar powered battery tenders.
he has never had to charge either of them.
the jubilee experienced a dead cell in the battery 2 years ago, but i think it was an old battery.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I use them on motorcycles for the last 15 years. Batteries last longer. The same will apply to a truck battery. You can hook it to either battery. But keep in mind the tenders are like .75 amp for $40 battery tender brand which I have owned the same one for 15 years. It is not designed to charge batteries, just maintain them. So I would charge them first then use the tender if the are low. Battery tender makes a 5 amp but its like $125. I have friends that leave them on there classic cars all year long with the same results. Stay away from harbor freight ones, I know someone who had a terrible experience with his, it caught fire, luckily he was in the garage when it happened. They also have solar ones that plug into you cigarette lighter. I do not know anyone that has tried one.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If both batteries are in good condition then single hookup should provide good results. Also toss couple battery blankets on the batteries as well.

If just mainaining charger alone. If providing support for winter blankets charger and block heater is best.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on what ironworker40 said.
Most of my junk has a delrtan jr on it.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use solar on my small batteries (mower, waverunner), 2.5 watt size and it works great. Just got a 5w for an auto battery, as the 2.5 was just not enough. Its the route I would go, just make sure it is charged up first.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Dad uses one on his car (retired and he drives his pickup more than the car due to back issues) and his 149 he uses in the winter to move snow.

The Cub, sits in an unheated garage and will get to ambient temperature, no wind inside, but cold. In years past, it takes his big charger, sometimes some ether and lots of cranking to get it started. With the battery minder, he gets on the tractor, pulls the choke and hits the key. It will crank right over and start up......

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
I run a marine on-board charger from www.BatteryMINDers.com . I couldn't find the exact model I have on their website anymore.

My charger is plugged in with my block heater, so I can have one or both come on when I plug it in.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run a marine on-board charger from www.BatteryMINDers.com . I couldn't find the exact model I have on their website anymore.

My charger is plugged in with my block heater, so I can have one or both come on when I plug it in.

I've been seriously considering doing that. If you are burning 1000w on the heater, what's a few more to keep the batteries topped up for that cold start.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online