Battery Lite Flickering.. Why???

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So today I'm driving around 75 mph on the freeways and I see the battery lite flicker on and off. No pattern either. The fake dash oem gauge shows I'm charging fine too. I reach my destanation and shut down the engine. Check for loose connections or intermint broken wire like I had many years ago. Back then I would get the battery lite solid for a long time. I finally found that issue was the battery dash lite wire was brokne but the spade connecter was still holding the plastic side of the wire in the spade. The copper wire strands were broken below that camp.. Odd that something like that could happen... So finding noting wrong after touching all the wires on the alternater I just drove home another 85 miles. Altewrnater is the serpentine belt type and the alt was not burning hot nor were the bayyeries hot like they might be getting overcharged... No sulfer smell of the acid boiling off either... So what does the collective think...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it flickers a little bit at high rpms, it's usually a sign the brushes are getting worn in the alternator, not making good contact. If it does it all the time, I would check the ground over at the regulator mounting bolt(if you have the external regulator setup)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its not an external voltage regulater. It was oem but I changed the belt drives to serpentine and upgraded the alternater to internal voltage regulater. Am very happy with the setup too. Thanks for inforcing the brushes thought.. Thats kinda what I was thinking too. I found if I turned on the headlites the battery dash lite would not come on and the charge rate stayed up.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You running the serpentine setup? If so check/replace the little single white wire plugged into the alternator

lilredtdi

Reaction score
There is a small plug atop both alternators. If the plug is loose it will trigger the dash light. Wiggle it and see if it goes away. If it does use a small wire tie or something to hold the clip secure.