Battery ground issue?

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need. The starter fixed the problem. Now she starts like a dream! I never knew the motor was supposed to crank over that fast when I turned the key.

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need. The starter fixed the problem. Now she starts like a dream! I never knew the motor was supposed to crank over that fast when I turned the key.

What starter did you get? Mine has started doing the same thing.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the Cummins, we re-brush and replace the solenoid contacts ourselves.

There are extra-large contacts available with about three times the surface area and that is what we use.

I don't read every single post, but I haven't noticed much discussion on here about anyone re-building these starters.

It should be a fairly straight-forward task; is anyone doing their own ?? :dunno

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one made with 2/0 for the cross over and 3/0 down to the starter. Next time I'll make my own with lugs. I made 3/0 Negative to block cables and they are sweet. I don't think 2 Ga is heavy enough to do the Positive crossover cable. It's only good to about 200-250A, depending on the insulation and length. Bumping up to 2/0 will handle about 400A and 3/0 will do about 500A.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a rebuilt mitsubishi gear reducing starter from Autozone. It was labled as a Duralast I think. Cost was $160 pluss a $50 core charge. The tech artical on replacing a starter was right. That top bolt is a real PAIN to get to. I'm glad I read the artical. I picked up a set of 3/8" extensions for $20. Normally I would have said that was way more than I would be willing to pay for a set of stupid 3/8" extensions, but for this job they were worth every penny! You need an extension as long as the starter, but not much longer because there's only a couple inches between the starter and the frame. My new 3/8" air ratchet came in real handy while I was laying in the slush out in the drive.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't attempted to take apart the solenoid on a Mitsu starter, it looks to be of the non serviceable variety like most domestic ones. Generally it seems the bushings in them die before the solenoid anyhow.
However, the Nippon Denso starter is the same setup as the one on the Cummins, lots of Toyotas, other Chrysler apps, Kubotas, etc, lots of commercial apps. I have replaced many a set of contacts in them, considering I maintain a fleet of Kubota equipment and Toyota Forklifts. The contacts wear out in them, but they never seem to die, then again they use bearings.

Last edited: