Battery Drain Woes

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK... my 91 has had a drain issue since PO had it. Cut out electronic brake controller and goofy fog lights, no other hacked wiring found.

3G alt upgrade done by me, disconnected for now. Hood and dome lights are removed.

Plugged a meter inline and I had 1.7 amp draw. The barometric pressure sensor accounted for 700 mA, and the last 1A is being drawn through the black/red(orange?) wire on the fender solenoid. I disconnected everything I could find downstream and I still have a 1A loss. That includes the engine connector, which cuts the glow plug controller and engine sensors out. I traced it through the fusible links, and it splits to 2x black/orange and 1x yellow. I found some detailed '89 diagrams, but the wires coming off the fender solenoid were different.

Yanked all fuses, unplugged 3 boxes under dash, pulled TECA relay... no change.

What obvious thing am I missing?

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Radio?? You have done what I would have done. Sorry not much more help. You got rid of all the 1G wiring right?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black Orange wire does feed the headlight portion of the headlight switch. Does not feed the running lights portion of the switch though.

I don't understand what the barometric pressure sensor is and what it's doing causing a drain with the key off.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will check headlight switch and radio, thanks! Pretty sure I saw a 20mA drop when I pulled the radio fuse, which powered KAM.

The BAP sensor feeds the TECA altitude info. The 700mA draw from it leads me to believe that it's faulty. It looks like it's just constant-on, with it's 3 wires being pwr, gnd, and signal. Haven't confirmed that yet on a wiring diagram.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it was the trailer/marker light relay staying engaged.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online