Battery charging

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you guys using for battery maintenance? I have been through 2 Schumacher's in 2 years. I like to keep my mower battery and at least one spare vehicle on a trickle charge but these modern Schumacher's stop working after the warranty is out.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a battery with a longer warranty...

Or find a conditioning charger that pulses to zap the sulfites (sulfates? Sulph... Plate buildup)

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a battery with a longer warranty...

Or find a conditioning charger that pulses to zap the sulfites (sulfates? Sulph... Plate buildup)
I have vehicles that sit in winter (Like my mower) I would rather not have to pull dead batteries to claim warranty and just keep them in a charged state without having to rearrange garage space and parking for three vehicles because I need to start and run them to keep the batteries charged.

What kind of pulsing chargers are you referring to? Do you own any of these type chargers? The two Shumachers I went through had 2amp charging options but both units simply stopped charging after just being out of warranty.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Dad uses some ,and has good luck with them..... I will ask him tomorrow what he uses......

(I think they may be from Horrible Freight)

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read this:
http://leadacidbatterydesulfation.y...ry-and-Pulse-Conditioning-Primer#.Vas_jrU-fuc

Be careful what you buy; try to get some comments on the item.
I cannot recommend a particular brand - I have always built my own.
They DO work. But you have to do some normal maintenance.
Depends on battery type. Keep them charged.
This is what I use for trickle charging:
http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...v-manual-charger-with-engine-start-62334.html
Harbor Freight also has a desulfator, but I don't know anything about it.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Remove batteries in the winter and put them inside heated space and use battery tenders as they will shut off when battery is charged and not over charge them. They can be left on indefinatly.

Last edited:

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
The cooler you can keep the battery, the better, as long as it doesn't freeze up. A fully charged battery can be kept in the deep freezer, if the wife will let you...:rolleyes: