batteries

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
sorry boring topic but...what do you guys reccomend for cca's and from what store? idea of price would be cool too! thanks guys ;Sweet need some quality ones for this coming winter in CO :Sly

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
I just stick with motorcrafts, I don't see that much of a difference between those and shelling out bucks for Optima's. Just make sure you get enough CCA's to turn her over for those cold winters.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
You need to stick with the group 65 batteries which fit in the battery trays with the factory hold downs. I would also say stick with the Ford Motorcraft I bought my batteries from Canadian Tire they have been good so far they are 1100 CCA. There are two CCA ratings one at a colder temp and one at a warmer temperature you look at the one with the lower temperature. The higher that number the better you also need to look at the reserve capacity too which gives you a idea how long the battery will continously crank the engine.

Just remember most batteries last about 4 years and thats about it so if your thinking that you are spending big bucks and figure your gonna get 10 years out of them.

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
4 years on batteries, let alone 10? Hardly the case with these diesels!!!

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I have got 2.5 years on the batteries I bought from Canadian tire no problems so far. I don't abuse the batteries and I have a good altenator I also don't jump start people with jumper cables.

The max life on most start batteries for Ford diesel P/Us is about 4 years max after that they can be demoted for starting gassers.

The things that kill batteries is Freezing,Excessive heat,over charging (boiling batteries), road viberation, excessive cranking,too much of a cycle ie (draining them too low then re charge) and last is oil getting into the cells.

Last thing which should be common knowlege is replace batteries in pairs and don't use a petroleum based grease even vaseline on battery terminals to prevent corrosion use a silicone based grease. I actually got in shiat from a mechanic I was working with when I was replacing start batteries in a forklift. He says when the grease gets warm from the engine heat it will flow over the top of the battery and you run the risk of it getting into the battery one drip of oil will kill a cell in a battery.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run Interstates on my trucks. simple reason, I know the route salesguy for the last 20 years. Just about every repair shop or partsstore i ever worked at, he was the guy who supplies me my batteries. CCA ratings are nice to look at, Reserve Capacity is the true indicator on wheter a battery is any good or not. Interstate has a good RC. Their warranty program is really good too. keep your receipt and its good nationwide. Also, the first 18 months is not pro-rate charge.

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
towcat said:
I run Interstates on my trucks. simple reason, I know the route salesguy for the last 20 years. Just about every repair shop or partsstore i ever worked at, he was the guy who supplies me my batteries. CCA ratings are nice to look at, Reserve Capacity is the true indicator on wheter a battery is any good or not. Interstate has a good RC. Their warranty program is really good too. keep your receipt and its good nationwide. Also, the first 18 months is not pro-rate charge.

I seemed to make it to roughly 3 years for each new set I've installed since 1990 like clockwork, with the exception of some Interstates that I've had now close to 5 years - works for me :Sly

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
When I was selling parts, we had the best luck, in diesels, with A/C Delco 78DT-7yr batteries.

Personally, I like the Delco's, because they don't seem to have the corrosion issues I've fought, with other brands.

We've run Champion, Alliance, Delco, and Delphi, in the big trucks, at work. The Champions seems to work as good as anything, but don't have the service life of the others. Haven't had Delphi in stock long enough to tell, yet.