Banks Turbo Removal

gandalf

Reaction score
I'll be on my way to Maine soon to visit the family there. Can't wait to see the grandkids.

While I'm there I'm hoping to snatch the turbo off the truck there. Its the older non-wastegated turbo, with the big square airbox. I'll be taking my copy of the installation manual, just to keep things kosher.

Can anyone give me a quick list of what I need to remove so that I'll have a complete, ready to install, system for my truck here? I don't want to return here, start installing, and find that I left an essential part in Maine, 3500 miles away.

I'll be more or less following reverse order in the installation manual, but a quick list would be equally important.

I expect that I'll have to rebuild the turbo before installation, but thats the subject for a future post.

Thanks for any help, hints, or moral support.

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
if you hae the install manual it should list all the parts...take as much of the exhaust as you can and you will be good. boost gauge also ;Sweet

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
get everything,there are small parts and insulation for the pipes and such.
also i had a very hard time removing the down pipe where it hooks to the turbo,bolts where rusted solid and had to remove the turbo and downpipe as a assembly,what a pita that was,but it will worth it to hear that whistle and see my smile ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb question, but if you have time to pull the turbo off the old truck, do you have time to install it on the '92? Or do you think the turbo needs to be rebuilt badly enough that it wouldn't survive the trip?

gandalf

Reaction score
Warden, I'm not absolutely sure the turbo will need to be rebuilt. Its just a suspicion. Would it survive the trip out here, driving? The turbo might be able to make it, if the engine ran.

Several years ago my wife blew a head gasket on the '86. She had it towed to the house, and parked it for the winter. I was here in San Jose. By the time I got there the following summer the engine had frozen solid. It had hydrolocked, and then rusted over the winter. I doubt that it will even make an acceptable core.

So, while I look for an inexpensive engine for the '86, I'd like to put the turbo on the '92, which actually does the heavy work now.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry...guess I didn't clarify well enough. I meant, do you have time to install the turbo on the '92 truck while you're in Maine? And, on the '92, would the turbo survive the trip out here (sounds like yes)?

If so, it would be a sure-fire way to know that you have all the parts...since you'll have both trucks sitting side by side while moving the turbo over.

Just an idea :)

gandalf

Reaction score
I'm flying to Maine, not driving. I have only three weeks annual leave, and I'd rather spend it there than on the road. Besides, fuel costs for the truck for 3500 miles would be prohibitive.

Even if I were to drive, I could not put the two trucks side by side. That would be ideal, but it can't happen. The '86 is on an island, believe it or not, and the only way to get a vehicle out there is by barge. There's nothing convenient about it, and you don't want to transport too often.

So, its a matter of remove the turbo there, ship it, I guess, back here, and install. cookoo Why can't life be simpler?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, okay...I thought you were driving for some reason.

Sorry...wish I could help more, but I know very little about the Banks setup, except that I doubt it has much in common with my ATS kit...

Good luck!!

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I have the newer kit & don't know much about the older ones, but there might be a big gromet in the valley pan. They don't have ones that big at NAPA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance