banks sidewinder vs. ATS 088 = wow!!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My allen screw is mazes out minus a slight bit, less than a flat. Before unplugging the wastegate I could see 1050. I'm doing about 75-80mph before I reach 800.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
My allen screw is mazes out minus a slight bit, less than a flat. Before unplugging the wastegate I could see 1050. I'm doing about 75-80mph before I reach 800.

you really need more fuel, maybe the 093 turbo is more effiecient than we think?:dunno i mean 800 at 15psi leaves alot to play with, is there any way that you could get boost pressure temps for us? that way we know what the air charge tempurature is?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure bout all that Mr Young.

Fordguy100, what do you tow? running around light truck is not what the engine/turbo/truck was designed for.
Maxing out both temperature and boost with no load other than the truck is not a good baseline for a truck meant to do heavy work.

just saying

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure bout all that Mr Young.

Fordguy100, what do you tow? running around light truck is not what the engine/turbo/truck was designed for.
Maxing out both temperature and boost with no load other than the truck is not a good baseline for a truck meant to do heavy work.

just saying

With the wastegate still plugged up....towing about 6500 (tractor plus trailer) up some decent size grades where I had to drop to 3rd, I saw maybe 1100*. I bet with a couple more psi (wastegate set to 9psi) it would have been a little lower. Then again if I was running 3rd at the govenor I would have had 15+psi and maybe higher EGT's, who knows. All I know is empty driving is showing a 200* decrease in EGT's with my wastegate unplugged.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
With the wastegate still plugged up....towing about 6500 (tractor plus trailer) up some decent size grades where I had to drop to 3rd, I saw maybe 1100*. I bet with a couple more psi (wastegate set to 9psi) it would have been a little lower. Then again if I was running 3rd at the govenor I would have had 15+psi and maybe higher EGT's, who knows. All I know is empty driving is showing a 200* decrease in EGT's with my wastegate unplugged.

sounds like a good workout

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What kind of speed can you hold when towing that weight up a 6 or 7 % grade with your boost and pyro readings above?
Travis..

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Im kinda in the same boat. only grossing 18,500lbs running a 7.3 banks. 10 psi boost 3rd gear at 2500/3k rpms. it will pull 1100* egts. that pulling at 45-50mph.

I would really love to get more out of this motor?? it seems to spool slow until 2200rpms the booom. And it seems like it could use more boost:dunno

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Weird...my rig gets up to 800*F and stays there with my foot to the floor winding out every gear as well...

I would turn it up more (up 2 flats already), but it smokes pretty good already. Any more and I would be blacking out the highway behind me!

No boost measures on my hypermax build yet...still trying to get the line to fix my boost gauge.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Justin said he unplugged his wastegate and saw gains in boost. I tried it, and had no boost? I couldn't get over a couple of PSI at WOT. :dunno Any help?

Also, the OP expressed an amazing affection for the power of the Sidewinder over the non-wastegated 088. Can anyone attest to whether or not the Banks has as much pull over its factory wastegated brethren, the 093?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Justin is talking about unplugging the boost line to the waste gate, the putting something in said line as to not have a boost leak.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, does that just de-activate the wastegate, so to speak and allow all boost to be directed into you turbo? Where is this line?

I apologize for the hijack.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, does that just de-activate the wastegate, so to speak and allow all boost to be directed into you turbo? Where is this line?

I apologize for the hijack.

i dont know where the line is but if you started a new thread you woud prolly get alot more repies. :dunno

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What kind of speed can you hold when towing that weight up a 6 or 7 % grade with your boost and pyro readings above?
Travis..

Depending at what speed I hit the grade. If I can hut it at 65 I can hold that in 4th gear as that is the sweet spot for rpms. If I hit it at 60 it might drop down to 55ish. I can tow it easily in third at 60mph no problem though, about 2/3-3/4 throttle so room to okay with.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
And the wastegate line is the rubber (well on mine, that goes into the wastegate rod, it should have a small clamp, pull it off, and plug it with something. I used a bolt that was a tight fit and used the clamp for good measure.

4th gear is good for anything over 60moh for me. Below that and I just don't have as much power to maintain speed. Look at heaths dyno chart, they all show peak hp and torque around the 2300rpm mark. That's about 65mph in forth for me, which is why I can maintain that easier than 60mph

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The way these wastegates work is boost pressure makes them go open. If there is no bost pressure the spring in the can holds them closed. Then you can't control boost. The rubber pressure line needs to be plugged off or it will allow boost to escape to the atmosphere. Shortening to boost rod will create more boost because the turbo must make more pressure to overcome the spring. Yse caution when adjusting the boost. It can cause the heads to lift off and then you loose the gaskets... Not a fun job if you leave the motor in the truck when replacing head gaskets...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online

No members online now.