banks or ats???????

frdtrckmnrich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was at the local yard today and picked up an ats turbo from an 86 6.9 auto. I currently have a banks sidewinder kit on my truck. Niether one of these is wastegated. There are things i like about both of them but i can't make up my mind. So......which would you keep and why. Which ever is left will be getting posted on here for sale. Thanks.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know what to tell you. I have the ATS non gated kit. Not exactly a boost monster, but then I haven't gone all out on turning up the fuel or getting a DPS or Moose Pump. I see mac boost around 4-6psi close to WOT. I have never REALLY buried the throttle for a long period of time since I don't want speeding tickets. I bet it could be better, but if you like your Banks I wold keep it. I honestly don't think there's enough difference in either to justify a swap. Parts sourcing may be dicey for either in the future but my money would say Banks would be a better(albeit expensive) source for dinosaur turbo parts. Let us know which one you want to sell off when you decide.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in buying either turbo you decide not to use. How much do you think you will be selling it for?

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I agree with JD. Not worth a swap. I think they are pretty equal, just different. On a cold day I can max out at 17psi and 950 degrees f. But the Banks can do that also. Power depends on timing, pump, and injectors.

frdtrckmnrich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was really hoping to get more discussion on this. Today is tuesday. I will make my disision by thurs and let you know.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would probably stick with the setup you have, because I know first hand how crappy it is to take off and put on a turbo onto one of these things. But one thing to consider during this is that Banks discontinued there turbo line for our IDI's, so that means you cant get any parts for them anymore. I dont know if they still sold parts for the square box turbo's anymore, but you cant get any more parts for them anymore. So its kinda your decision. Check both of there turbo shafts for end play, and pick the one that has less play in it.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think swapping turbos is worth it. I don't think you'll get any power increase, and there are some PITA factors with the ATS (mostly with, sealing the exhaust pipes). Also, one thing to keep in mind is that ATS has discontinued support and parts sales for their turbo, and IIRC Banks either has already or will soon stop selling parts.

I'm content with my non-gated ATS, but honestly, if/when I have a major failure with it, I'm thinking seriously about switching to a Hypermax (partially because the Pulse turbo apparently puts out a bit more boost than other non-gated turbos, but mostly because parts are still available for them)...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thats been on there forever. He wants way too much for it.

On the other note, there will be no increase in power by swapping turbos, they are both basically the same size and unless one has the big exhaust housing and the other doesnt there will be no increase in flow.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Internally both of the turbos you have are the same, at least so close you wouldnt know any difference.