Banks Kit Auto vs Manual Question

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometime on the past in one of the Banks Gen 1 threads, there is a great side by side pic showing the differences between the auto and manual pedestals. Let me see if I can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the older non WG Banks setup both auto & manual run up the driver's side. The difference is in the pedistal/top bracket. The manual bellhousing goes straight back about 1" then drops down whereas the auto is straight down. The bracket includes the top turn of the up-pipe, and the up-pipe runs right up on the bellhousing, so on the manual the casting has to be extended aft further to acommindate the pipe having to be further aft to clear. If you try to use an auto bracket on a manual the pipe can't meet up with the casting flange.

The manual pipe may be slightly smaller diameter as well due to the reduced clearance, but I'm not sure. Don't think the small different in casting would require any other significant changes, so my suspicion is that either up-pipe will probably fit.

No reason you couldn't use a manual setup on an auto trans.

Now, the WG setup is completely different with both pipes going up the passenger side. AFAIK there is no difference between auto & manaul, but I'm not sure.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the old post mentioned earlier and there are some good pictures.
Banks turbo auto to manual, differences?

Banks turbo auto to manual, differe...o-to-manual,-differences?.66681/&share_type=t

Also chatted with Banks tech guy. He had to do some digging, but told me there were 3 different setups on these early kits. The C6, the T-19 and the ZF-5. The C-6 & T-19 charge pipes come up from the drivers side. The ZF-5 from the passenger side.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Idaho now, but it will be laying on the floor in a week or two. I dont know how much you would really want it, the up pipes are pretty hacked together to make them work with the zf5, there are two stainless bolts broken off in the turbo for the downpipe and the air filter housing has been chopped to hell to make room on top of the engine for service access and a "cold air intake".

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the air filter housing has been chopped to hell to make room on top of the engine for service access and a "cold air intake".

Thats actually an improvement over the stock design. The filter is hard to service and you have to remove the airbox to do anything with the fuel system or to access wiring on top of the engine. Its super, super annoying.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, but I didn't do a very clean job of cutting it up. It was cut up in a fit of rage after it pushed me over the edge for reasons you explained lol.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After that picture was taken I used the banks timing cover adapter with a short hose going to the cdr, which is mounted to the a/c compressor bracket. I welded a pipe nipple into the outlet of the cdr and ran a hose to a fitting that I installed right after the 45* boot coming off the turbo. You can kinda see a plastic fitting in the pipe in the picture, I drilled that hole bigger and installed a 1" 90* fitting there. It's functional but not pretty, I had intentions of cleaning it all up to make it more presentable, but I'm so fed up with Banks garbage that I bought a new Hypermax kit to just be done with it.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, I did the same thing to my air box. [emoji106][emoji2532]