Banks Kit Auto vs Manual Question

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year Everyone!
My truck has the old school non-wastegate Banks turbo. At some point I would love to swap to a ZF5. I understand that the Banks Kits were specific to either an automatic or manual transmission, but I haven't been able to find out what the difference is. Can anyone tell me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe the Y-Pipe is different between the two.

I don't know from personal experience but I think i've read on the forums that Banks will sell you a Y pipe. It may not be cheap.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanna say the downpipe as well, but again , not certain

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Automatic the up-pipe runs up driver side. Manual the up-pipe runs up passenger side. The pedestals are different too. I found out the hard way.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Automatic the up-pipe runs up driver side. Manual the up-pipe runs up passenger side. The pedestals are different too. I found out the hard way.

Damn, so both the pedestal and up pipe need to be replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately. I had a zf5 shell bolted to the back of a 6.9 and the pedestal bolted on and there is no way the up pipe fits on. If memory serves me correct the pedestal is aimed down so hard it would basically crash into the bell housing if was longer. With the up pipe resting on the bell housing the pedestal is 1 1/2 to 2" off where it needs to be. I'm guessing the c6 automatics had a much sharper rising bell housing angle. I know that's not what you want to hear but I know for a fact it's way different.

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had both kits.. the wastegated and the non wastegated.. it seemed like the non wastegated worked better down low. That is an awesome set up really.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a non gated Banks pedestal out in my shop that's just taking up room, find the part number you need and I'll check what I have.
It'll be cheap.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Are you sure about this? I converted my 86 from a 4 speed to a 5 speed last weekend, and the up pipe was on the drivers side. If that's true i wonder if my turbo was meant for a c6? Could explain why it was such a pain in the ass....

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure about this? I converted my 86 from a 4 speed to a 5 speed last weekend, and the up pipe was on the drivers side. If that's true i wonder if my turbo was meant for a c6? Could explain why it was such a pain in the ass....
If you made it work, kudos. All I know is it was waaaaaaaay off for me. I would have had to make a spacer to put between the pedestal mount and the cylinder head to kick out the pipe opening to get the uppipe to hook to it.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya it was way off, I ended up cutting the up pipe in half about a foot below the pedestal and heating it up and making a couple bends in it to redirect it, then using flex pipe to reconnect it next to the bellhousing. And then the bolted on downpipe......:frustrate

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW. You're energetic! Nice. I had a few ideas, but I got so disgusted I just walked away from the project for months. I found a ATS 093 kit that I bartered a 2wd cummins Getrag tranny for, then sold the non wastegate Banks.

Last edited:

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I'm an idiot lol. I only put that much effort into it because I needed it out of the way. I hate that banks with a passion, I've never seen anything that can be in the way no matter what your trying to work on as much as that terrible kit -cuss

But my brand new Hypermax kit will be here Wednesday to fix that problem :Thumbs Up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online