Banks first gen or at turbo kit

Vdrivekiller

Reaction score
Ok everyone. I have a banks first gen turbo kit and a ats turbo kit for my 6.9 and I am not sure in which one to use. It seems like the ats kit is allot easier to out in but which one is better. Need help.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

gandalf

Reaction score
I have the installation instructions/manual for the early Banks Turbos, the ones with the big square airbox. It's in pdf format. I'm always happy to share it. If you'd like a copy please PM me with an email address.

Vdrivekiller

Reaction score
I have no clue guys haven't got it off the truck yet. This is all I have right now guys. Just came in my wreaking yard. And ok sir thank you I will do that.
You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Banks for top end balls,
ats for outta the hole ...
Ats for repair parts and support "today"
gale was one of the last guys on staff that worked on ungated units (pre sidewinder) only guy left in house...

Talk to wes,russ,mel.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ats kit you have is an 093 kit. That’s really the most sought after turbo kit for the IDIs, factory 3” downpipe and elbow, and easiest platform to get parts and upgrades for. The first gen banks kit is a pita to work with.

Vdrivekiller

Reaction score
The ats kit you have is an 093 kit. That’s really the most sought after turbo kit for the IDIs, factory 3” downpipe and elbow, and easiest platform to get parts and upgrades for. The first gen banks kit is a pita to work with.
Ok thank you sir. And yeah getting that banks off the truck I took it off of was a freaking pain in the butt. The ats kit so far is so much easier and I got the exhaust and everything for both kits

Vdrivekiller

Reaction score
Awesome thank you guys for all the info means allot. I think I am going to go with the ats kit much easier to get parts for I see now and way easier to work on and install. The banks kit was a pain to get it off the truck I took it off of.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tru, HOWEVER an ungated is an entirely different animal.
you just need to drive by the pyro ,period.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were true ats 093 kits actually 3” dp? Ford definitely f#%*ed that up, if it fits, why run that tiny crushed pipe?. I still need to order one of those 3” dp’s from you....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were true ats 093 kits actually 3” dp? Ford definitely f#%*ed that up, if it fits, why run that tiny crushed pipe?.
Because it probably doesn't quite fit. I know the Banks 2.75" DP requires some "clearancing" of the firewall.

Also, with the HP level Ford was targeting, the extra restriction didn't mean much.

----
OP, I'd suggest you look into adding a Wicked Wheel 2 to the kit while you have it out of the truck. It's $200, makes it spool faster and 15% better boost mid range.
It's not hard to install, and is pre-balanced.
(You'll find nay-sayers telling you that the whole turbo needs to be re-balanced, but that's not the impression I get from the WW2 makers. Nor does my turbo make any extra vibration or have any issues after installing mine).

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because it probably doesn't quite fit. I know the Banks 2.75" DP requires some "clearancing" of the firewall.

Mine did ('93, ZF-5, factory turbo setup). But it wasn't bad. I grabbed the firewall seam in a couple places with vise grips and bent it back toward the rear, then used a foot-long piece of bar scrap as a driver and whacked it a few times with a four pound hammer. Nearly instant clearance :)

Vdrivekiller

Reaction score
Were true ats 093 kits actually 3” dp? Ford definitely f#%*ed that up, if it fits, why run that tiny crushed pipe?. I still need to order one of those 3” dp’s from you....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The kit I have has a full 3" down pipe and it's not smash or kink anywhere

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance