Banks downpipe installation

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks downpipe installation(UPDATED)

How difficult is installing a banks downpipe? I am a fairly good mechanic, but is there any welding or special stuff that needs done. By the looks of the new downpipe it should slip over the turbo exhaust outlet and the clamp to the exhaust beings there is a flange on the bottom side of it. Any tips are very much appreciated for the install!!

Last edited:

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It clamps right in like the stock downpipe. You may need to loosen your cab mountain and Jack the cab up to Get a little more clearance.

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh ok its that simple then. I was told by banks to clip both sides of firewall seam and bend down with a hammer hopefully I dont have to unbolt the cab

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
If you have a 5 speed there is a nubbin on the tranny that you can trim and that helps. I got mine on not knowing that but if you trim it you'll have an easier time with the firewall. My engine was out at the time.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
If you have a 5 speed there is a nubbin on the tranny that you can trim and that helps. I got mine on not knowing that but if you trim it you'll have an easier time with the firewall. My engine was out at the time.

And if you install that DP and its even just CLOSE to that nub on the tranny, when there is hot exhaust going through it will expand, and touch it. It makes a racket.

PZ

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its an auto tranny, but I looked underneath and the pipe I recieved from banks looks way to short. Do I have to remove the old dp and cut it so it slips inside of the bell on the bottom end of banks dp? Or is there a slip joint half way up the stock dp. Never really worked on diesels so dont know much about the turbo systems. Thanks

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the downpipe on the turbo, but my exhaust is gone. As of right now until the exhaust shop gets me in next week it will just be a shorty exhaust just downpipe lol. It sounds soooo good and runs way better. I cant believe it would be that big of a difference. Whats the best muffler out there to keep that super nice whistle it now makes?? Thanks guys!