Bad Overdrive or OD Solenoid Create NON Movement in Any Gear in E40D

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally have my van at what I hope is a trustworthy shop - nearly got screwed by a very dishonest Ford dealership. My question for the trans experts is could a failing OD unit or OD Solenoid create any kind of non movement situation in a E40d? My OD on the road would rumble and I would clear it by accelerating . . . My E40D will not move in any gear . . .

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Explane why you think the Ford dealer is dishonest.

My OD on the road would rumble and I would clear it by accelerating
Sounds more like your TC is flying apart. When in OD the TC is locked up and your in direct drive.

My question for the trans experts is could a failing OD unit or OD Solenoid create any kind of non movement situation in a E40d?
Not an expert by any means. But what your asking, the answer is no.

No movement.
Did you check the oil level with engine idleing and trans. hot?
Trashed TC.
Broken input shaft.
Pump is broken.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oldbull: while you are correct, you are going to extremes. Yes a trashed tc or a busted pump will cause those symptoms, but those are hard parts and usually do not wear likE seals fractions and steEls. The op need to have the pressure ports hooked up to a mechanical gauge and see what the pressures are. The pressure ports will give you adirect reading of what is going on and where the pressures are bleeding off

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My old 94 did that but i still had reverse and would move forward and shift if throttle was floored.reverse worked normal.after having the tranny rebuilt 15 times in 3 weeks the shop told me the case cracked.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oldbull: while you are correct, you are going to extremes. Yes a trashed tc or a busted pump will cause those symptoms, but those are hard parts and usually do not wear likE seals fractions and steEls. The op need to have the pressure ports hooked up to a mechanical gauge and see what the pressures are. The pressure ports will give you adirect reading of what is going on and where the pressures are bleeding off

I just told him the probable cause of his demise. That's for him to troubleshoot. I can go into detailed troubleshooting, but as slow as I type, it would be next month before he would get the message.;Really :dunno

Edit: When you have NO MOVEMENT in any gear, you have NO HYDRAULIC PRESSURE, to have hydraulic pressure, the pump has to be turning. Not extreme at all.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
This is an easy diagnosis. Pull the tranny. Failed converter, pump, or broken input shaft. With no movement at all the tranny has to come out. No way around it.

You can probe it, pressure test it or shoot with a shot gun. Either way it needs to come out to fix the problem.

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all very helpful - pressure to be confirmed but I believe it may be TC. Regarding Ford, I detailed this story previously but in short - they told me my sump was full of dirty clutch material and burnt - unknown to them, I had already completely drained and removed and cleaned sump and filled with clean atf. Dishonest shop -

I just told him the probable cause of his demise. That's for him to troubleshoot. I can go into detailed troubleshooting, but as slow as I type, it would be next month before he would get the message.;Really :dunno

Edit: When you have NO MOVEMENT in any gear, you have NO HYDRAULIC PRESSURE, to have hydraulic pressure, the pump has to be turning. Not extreme at all.

Burg460

Reaction score
IMO from what I read so far it sounds like your trans is melting down on its own. If you could hear it making noise in OD its only tearing things up as its doing it. I wouldn't rule out Ford as being dishonest. If you cleaned the pan and changed the fluid and then drove it across town it could look like you didn't do anything being its self destructing. A lot of shops take age and mileage into consideration and its kind of a "CYA" type of deal. Either way, I agree, it needs to come out and get torn down and find the problem. It very well could be a pump issue as the OD unit is directly behind the pump on a E4OD.