Bad Lift Pump

wmoguy

Reaction score
I had to crank for quite a while this morning to get the truck started, not due to coldness but I don't think she's getting fuel. If I start the truck daily I generally don't have a problem, but this time, I hadn't ran the truck since Saturday morning.
I"m thinking the Lift Pump is dead or near dead, sound about right?

This Carrier Electric Pump I read about recently. How hard of an install is this? I've got kind of a crazy couple weeks at work here and don't know when I'd have time to do a 4-5 hr project. Suggestions?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Please help! Anyone have any answers to my questions above? Worried truck is gonna leave me stranded.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should do a test at the schrader valve to determine if your getting the volume of fuel required as per the factory test. Sorry I don't have that memorized, but when it comes to starting, it should be very obvious if your getting enough fuel or not. Start chanting with me..... Electric pump... Electric pump... Electric pump....

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull your fuel filter off after it has sat for a day or so and is giving a problem starting. If the fuel filter is not all the way full then it is probably the lift pump or a leak on the bottom piece of the filter. While the filter is off get a jar and hold it under the fitting where the fuel filter screws into the filter. Have someone crank the truck for you. If your not getting fuel from that point then your lift pump is bad. If the lift pump is good then you might have an air leak problem in the fuel system causing your hard starting issue.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd test the lift pump. Take the core out of the schrader valve on the fuel filter head. Hook up a pressure guage to that valve and crank the engine with FSS wire unplugged from the IP. It should be 4-6 psi. For volume, you should get 1/3 of a pint minimum with 10 seconds of cranking.

It doesn't sound like you're starving for fuel though. Kinda sounds like an air leak. If it is only a bear to start after it has been sitting a while, I'd start looking for wet areas (diesel) a long the fuel system with the return lines/caps as my first suspect. When you have someone crank the engine over and you open the schrader valve, if you get air first, then you certainly have a leak somewhere.

Heath

wmoguy

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Naturally this occurs over a period when I can't take some time from my biz and tend to this. :rotflmao I made an Appt at rocky mtn diesel to have it looked at Wednesday. It pains me to pay to fix what I can fix but time is not allowing me to get after it right now.
Its getting progressively worse. Not certain if it's air leak or fuel. Truck since vie had it always takes a good crank when cold to start up, but it sputtered to life Now it cranks for long periods of time before even giving the Slighest hint of catching.
I could just be losing it, but the truck almost sounds different too. I haven't determined if the lack of diesel sound is because my cab is super sound deadened (it's quieter in the cab than my 2010 duramax was) or if this is a related issue. If time allows I think I'll have rocky mtn bump up the pump and check/adjust timing while in there.

wmoguy

Reaction score
So Rocky MTN Diesel calls me and said the passenger side rear cylinder was leaking fuel all over and the bowl area where the glow plug is. So sounds to me like a air in line issue more than anything. Replacing the entire setup just to fix the issue for good. Hope that does it!