Bad injectors and lots white smoke???

drudykj03

Reaction score
I am somewhat new to diesels, and I am looking at a truck at a used car lot to buy. It is a 92 f-250 7.3 non turbo. 200000 miles. When you start the truck it blows clouds of white out smoke out and smells of diesel real strong. I also misses when it is idleing but when you rev it up the white smoke clears some and runs smooth. When driving it misses some then picks and runs fine when you are in the gas still blowing white smoke. Also to start it you had to push the gas pedal about half way down, no other ones I looked at u had to do that for it to start. My qeustion is that the dealer told me it just needed new injectors and it would run fine. does that sound right?
Thanks in advance

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my question is if that is all it needed then why dont they do that? it only takes about an hour to replace the fuel injectors. also i have a 89 f250 7.3 and on the drs visor it states under "starting conditions" 1/2 down above 32 degrees and full down under 32 degrees. id call them out on the injectors though.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one that did that. The timing retard arm on the side of the IP was stuck in (corroded at the pivot pin). It smoked so bad that you couldn't see. I changed out the injectors before I found out what the real problem was. For what it's worth, I got the truck for a couple grand less than it would have been worth since it smoked so bad.

Move the throttle and make sure the timing arm and piston moves in and out at the same time.

Your problem is probably timing related and not injector related.

Every one of the IDI's I've owned (5 now) would start fine without holding the accelerator down. That's what the high idle solenoid is for.

drudykj03

Reaction score
yeah that is why I am looking at buying it they are selling cheap.
I dont know what I am looking for on the retard arm thing??

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
My guess would be the smoke is a timing issue could need a new pump (around $400) and the miss fires would be injectors (about $300) with 200k I would change both. JMHO