Bad idea?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Ok so I’m looking at a 86 f250 6.9nin Idaho called the guy he’s asking 1300$ but said he needs extra money for Christmas so he’ll sell for $1000 nice truck looks straight no rust 2 owner truck I haven’t looked at it yet just pics but he says he has a stack of receipts for parts. So last night we arrange to meet half way he calls me and says he got home and can’t get it started been a week since the last start and he forgot to plug it in. Now he did tell me right off the bat it needs glow plugs and controller. Ok no big deal but still concerned if I should buy this thing price is now 800$ for it with a set of studded winter tires and mickey Thomson rims and bfg tires. Pics below should I pick this up or pass?
You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a nice truck, it’s well out of year range of bad blocks, is it an auto or manual?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Only thing is the starting issue but hell my 86 I had wouldn’t start in Texas winter lol

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 speed? Would have been converted then, yeah?
Decent truck for the price.
Everything I've ever bought, had bad glow plugs. Seems like a lot of people don't like maintaining their glow plug system

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would snap it up in a heart beat. Even if it takes another thousand to get it solidly running, that's a decent pickup.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get it, especially if he’s throwing in that golf club that’s across the grill.

Tires look like they’re wearing evenly too, looks like a great rig

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Only thing is the starting issue but hell my 86 I had wouldn’t start in Texas winter lol

My 87 6.9 seems to have trouble cold starting mostly based on the current temperature. If it’s in the 20s when I try to cold start it, it’s not easy. But if it sat in 20s but tries to start in the 40s, it has very little trouble. Basically it seems like the cold air being sucked in is what makes it hard to start more than the cold block.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in Idaho Falls but working in Jerome Idaho he’s in Hailey so probably pick her up Monday
now that I know you live in ID, this all makes sense. if you were still living in TX, I'd say you're nuts for doing this.
Living in ID? go for it.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs. Always plugs. That, and fuel gelling if you get to the CFPP of the fuel, which is around 20f for summer fuel. Winterized diesel is lower, as is if you add an additive.