Bad Day for the old Ford!

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I left the house this morning taking some stuff to the dump and right before the interstate off-ramp where I get off to go to the dump, the fuel filter light lit up. I was kind of confused because the filter that was on there isn't that old and I haven't even run any WMO through the truck since I put the new filter on there, because I am driving the truck so little now. I made it off the interstate and onto the road where the dump was located and as I downshifted to turn into the dump the truck just shut off. I coasted far enough off the road to be out of the way and have some room to figure out what was wrong with it. I grabbed an extra filter from behind the seat and took the old one off and put the new one on. The old filter had what looked like some horrible slimy snotty looking stuff in it and it wasn't the remnants of WMO (wrong color), this stuff was disgusting looking. After I put the new filter on, I tried and tried to get it to crank with no luck, I got under the truck and pulled the fuel line off in front of the pump and there is nothing coming out, it seems like I am going to have to drop the tank and figure out what stopped everything up. The pump is clearly running and I can push the bleader on the fuel pump but I get nothing, and this is on both tanks. The last place I filled up was some hole in the wall fuel station that I shouldn't have trusted in the first place, but we live and learn I guess. It might have slimed up the inside of the tank selector valve and now it is not working or something, I will know when I get some time to tear into it.

So here is how the truck returned home this evening:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

That winch I mounted on my trailer has been one of the handiest things I have ever had. That is one purchase I have no regrets about.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well do you suppose you got some WMO sludge that accumulated in the bottom of one of the tanks, and it finally tried going through the pump and clogged up the screen/fuel lines?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well do you suppose you got some WMO sludge that accumulated in the bottom of one of the tanks, and it finally tried going through the pump and clogged up the screen/fuel lines?

Maybe but the color was off for WMO, it was like a snotty slimy yellowish brown kind of stuff.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your fuel problems, but I am especially sorry to see that you had to use a Dodge to tow it home!

From your description of the sludge, do you think it could be some water that mixed with some of the possible remnants of the WMO? It might look like that, if it were sufficiently mixed in the tank... Especially while driving..

Glad you got her home safe though!

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your fuel problems, but I am especially sorry to see that you had to use a Dodge to tow it home!

From your description of the sludge, do you think it could be some water that mixed with some of the possible remnants of the WMO? It might look like that, if it were sufficiently mixed in the tank... Especially while driving..

Glad you got her home safe though!
For a while I wasn't sure how I was going to get home. I finally got ahold of a friend a couple counties over to come get us, just had to repay them with a good lunch.
Thank god for good friends!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a problem like that after I ran a tank of WVO that had sat in a steel tank to long before I used it. What a mess, It clogged the main line and would allow a little fuel through but would close off and acted like a small one way valve.

It killed the fuel pump and filled the filter full of an orangish slim.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it fixed and running good again today. I had to pull the Fuel Pump down to clean the same slime out of the inside of it. The screen in the Holley Red was so packed up with that slime that it wouldn't let the pump pull any fuel through. It looks like possibly some of the WMO that had gotten in the front tank through means of the return line when switching back to diesel before shutting it down had mixed with some water I got from the questionable fuel station and just made a mess of everything, along with whatever else slime was in that fuel. So everything is clean now and hopefully good to go. But I will never buy fuel again from that station.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Once burned... Twice learned... You should see if others got some crappy fuel from that location and start a class action law suit for your repairs and out of pocket funds....:sly

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it fixed and running good again today. I had to pull the Fuel Pump down to clean the same slime out of the inside of it. The screen in the Holley Red was so packed up with that slime that it wouldn't let the pump pull any fuel through. It looks like possibly some of the WMO that had gotten in the front tank through means of the return line when switching back to diesel before shutting it down had mixed with some water I got from the questionable fuel station and just made a mess of everything, along with whatever else slime was in that fuel. So everything is clean now and hopefully good to go. But I will never buy fuel again from that station.
just think......
you'd be really crying in your beer if the Dodge got the same crud in its fuel system.-cuss:eek:

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
i just had a similar problem with my hoe, i had a slim build up in the tank it would bog out and stall. changed the filters and everything got it running and started to do the same thing again. so i went to a mechanic shop, they said pull the access cover off the bottom of the tank and wipe it down you have grown alagee in your tank. i was like ummmmm ok, did and wow there was over a inch of alageee in the bottom of the tank, it was discusting. now its all good.