Back to fix the fuel leaks....

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As most of y'all know I recently installed Moose Jr. and Moose Mate injectors. Some of the original hard lines were not sealing to the new pump due to deep imprints (wear marks) in the ferrules. I replaced #1 and #3 hard lines a couple of weeks ago and haven't had a chance to see what else was leaking after the trip to Tulsa. I fired it up today and #2 is dripping at the pump and #7 squirting at the injector. Ordered those today. I also saw the new return caps on #1 and #8 were wet also. Thursday I will tear it down again and double check those caps and get the new lines on. I hope that fixes all the leaks, the wife is very tired of smelling diesel in the cab. I hope these are the last two lines that need replaced, these 2 were $100 apiece. Even with the leaks it's been starting so much better than it was. I hope this works as next week it has to pull the "Goat Tank" for the first time 130 miles one way.......

IE: Goat Tank... 24ft plus the tongue goose neck type trailer built entirely too heavy with 11 gauge tubing and 16 gauge sheet metal... Haven't weighed it yet but guessing around 6,000lbs dry.

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brrrrrrrr!!! Cold morning here in MO...middle 40's. Heading out here in a minute to get those lines replaced and look at the caps and orings.. sheesh.. I need a shop again..

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you buy the injector install kit? Might as well do it all at once. Caps, return lines, clamps, o rings, copper washers, rubber olives and any hard lines that are leaking.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to make it a point that olives suck, and can be deleted!

if I were you I would buy all new hard lines from the IP to the sticks, I saw them on e-bay, bran new for 260-ish

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the important parts caps, orings, IP, injectors were replaced 3 weeks ago from Conestoga. I probably should have purchased a complete new set of lines, but I didn't. I have replaced 5 of the 8 now, the other 3 are not leaking at this point in time. It seems that most everyone here leans toward using original parts in most cases, so I bought new lines from Ford. Expensive yes. Right now waiting for the guys to get back from lunch at Conestoga to get some insight on a leak that 1 new line didn't fix.. Down to that being the only problem right now. I have an idea what it is but want to talk to them first. Still convinced Ford designed constant fuel leaks in these trucks.... :frustrate

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to make it a point that olives suck, and can be deleted!

if I were you I would buy all new hard lines from the IP to the sticks, I saw them on e-bay, bran new for 260-ish

Any info on how this works? How do you do an olive delete

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a list somewhere,
im in the middle of an engine swap and would like to get it running today, ill post back later

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stock lift pump to filter head:
5/16 or 3/8 i forget. tubing to -6an fitting at mechanical fuel pump
-6AN to 3/8"? npt to filter head from fuel pump

from filter head to IP:
1/2" NMPT x 6 AN fitting to the IP
6AN line to filter head with 3/8" npt? to -6an on the filter head.

return line olive delete:
this replaces the hard line from the IP to the return line in the back of the engine.
replace the fitting at the IP to a 3/16 or 1/4 depending on 6.9 or 7.3 kit.
i put a 90* barbed fitting on and use the return line kit, and feed this into #2 cylinder return cap.

in the back of the engine, i connect #7 and #8 with a brass T, 2- 1/4" barbs and 1- 5/16 barb to the tanks.

make up some do-it yourself AN lines, and youre done.
now, this is not cheap, unless you have the parts on hand.
AN fittings to make your own hose range from 17-25$ a fitting
you need 4.

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sun evening I got some time to work on cylinder #7's leaky fuel line again. As I took things apart the return cap came off really hard and I noticed the new upper oring was cut in half. I went ahead and removed the injector to get a good look at it and found nothing wrong. I called Conestoga this morning and talked with Mel about what I had problem wise. He is a super guy!!!!! I followed his suggestions, replaced the damaged oring and put on a new copper washer and put the injector back in. I looked thru the caps I had taken off from an earlier return line replacement and found one in good shape. Installed it with a liberal amount of p jelly and snapped in place. I placed the new line on the injector and threaded it by hand almost all the way by hand. I then grabbed the wrench and really torqued it tight. I put the line clamp back and looked things over. I didn't want to start it w/o the air cleaner because I'm always afraid of something going into the turbo. I went ahead anyway and let it idle, low and behold the line stayed dry, no fuel coming from the top of the nut where the line passes thru. Shut it down, reinstalled the air cleaner and fired it back up and let it run about 20 minutes. Everything looks dry now. I pray it stays that way.. Thanks again to Mel.. you are awesome !!!!!!!!

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to the drawing board :cry: Cylinder #7 is leaking again at the injector line to the injector. Today is the first day I drove it since working on it and only ran it at an idle. It's a brand new Ford Line and a brand new Delphi "BB" injector body from Conestoga. The top of the nut is wet where the line goes into the nut. I pretty darn sure it's not the return cap or orings. I called Ford and told them to get me another coming. When I installed the line I started both ends and tightened both ends at the same time. These new lines don't look as well made as well the original lines. When I had it all apart again the other day I noticed the nut had made an imprint fairly far down from the top of the ferrule. I am thinking the ferrule wasn't made right and under higher pressure it's causing the leak. The nut won't tighten anymore. At this point I'm disgusted with all the time, energy and money I've spent on this thing. I have to pull the 16ft trailer 130 miles in the morning and concerned about fuel loss and performance.

pontoonrob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one line that kept leaking and after doing o-rings 3 times I installed new clamps with new clamps and it quit leaking---Rob

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up the 2nd new hard line for cylinder #7 today. I dried off about a cup of diesel off the valley pan. The 1st new line was also dripping at the pump. I changed them out and fired it up. I'm afraid if I say things are fixed I'd jinx myself. I took it for drive a couple of miles about 60 mph and came back to the house, popped the hood and well.... ;Sweet for now.... but I didn't say anything

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance