Back in an IDI

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to go buy another IDI tonight. 1990 F350 crew cab 5spd 4x4. 125,000 miles (I'm pretty sure, because there is absolutely no blow by in the motor!) It's a little rusty, but I should have enough stuff laying around to make it a solid truck The worst rust seems to be in the front fenders, which I have a couple of sets of that are pretty nice.

The best part? $700...

Will post pics tonight when I get it home.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$700!!!

:eek:

WOW is all I can say. I've gotten some deals in my time, but that is as close to theift as you can legally get.LOL

Photo please.

Heath

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just brought it home. It has a leaky injector, but I think I might have an o-ring somewhere. 3.55 gears, which kind of suck for such a big truck, but whatever. I'll probably end up pulling the motor for my F250 that I'm currently redoing. Then I'll probably shorten it, put the 460 I've got in it and have a crew cab wheeler!

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

mR

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to find a good deal like that, I want to buy an F350 4x4 just for the front end and if I can find one that is a 5 speed diesel I would keep the transmission too, I would probably scrap the rest of it or just resell it for whatever it brought.

I can't find any deals like that around here though, everyone wants $2,000-$3,000 sometimes even $4,000 for ones that are in about the same shape as yours or worse.

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I completely lucked into this one. I NEVER find deals like this. I helped a guy load up a wood stove at an auction I was at last weekend. He in turn helped me load up a table and chairs I bought, and saw the red truck that I had drove and mentioned something about an F350 he had. When he told me it was a running IDI with a 4x4 and he wanted $800, I went and looked at it the same day. I called him up yesterday and offered him $700 and he took it.

So the moral of the story is: just keep looking, help others out, and you never know what will happen.

mR

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I really love it up here. However, I'm not really a Yooper yet, I've only lived here a year. I haven't even really got the accent yet, eh.

I think it's either got a timing issue or a bad injector. At idle, it runs a little rough, but as soon as I bring it off idle, it's smooth as a baby's butt. I'm thinking I can just crack the lines while it's running and see if it gets worse, or if there is no change. Does that sound reasonable?

mR

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yeah I really love it up here. However, I'm not really a Yooper yet, I've only lived here a year. I haven't even really got the accent yet, eh.

I think it's either got a timing issue or a bad injector. At idle, it runs a little rough, but as soon as I bring it off idle, it's smooth as a baby's butt. I'm thinking I can just crack the lines while it's running and see if it gets worse, or if there is no change. Does that sound reasonable?

mR

Heck, injectors may just be a little dirty. I'd run a real stout dose of cleaner through the tanks before fooling with anything. Might be all it needs, wouldn't that be a kicker ;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey with all that money you saved I can sell you a new set of injectors then you wont have to worry about it.:D:D

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck, injectors may just be a little dirty. I'd run a real stout dose of cleaner through the tanks before fooling with anything. Might be all it needs, wouldn't that be a kicker ;Sweet

Yeah supposedly it hasn't run since November, so it may just be a sticky injector. I'll run some power service through it when I get it on the road and hopefully it'll clean up.

I'm getting ready to search, but is there a good article/thread on diagnosing the cold start system? It doesn't seem to be advancing or idling high on startup.

Thanks again,
mR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online