Back home North with Southern Goodies and great MPG doing so!

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Well i'm back.... :'( I'd rather still be out on the road but money doesn't grow on trees!

Only did a total of 7675km (4800 miles) in 4 weeks. Was a great trip once again, the old IDI never skiped a beet or complained! Did 1 oil change in a campground at 2600 miles. Now I gotta do another one at home before leaving again soon, and burned 4 quarts of oil, 2 per oil change interval. And boy did we ever put alot of hours on the generator this year running the roof A/C! Almost 100$ in gas for that old Onan pig! :D

Sure was glad I had some nice cab A/C in the 100*+F weather in Florida in the middle of summer. lol

I'll post up the pics of the trip in another thread, this one will be for my goodies and awesome new mpg numbers!

Alright, I marked all my receipt from 1 to 24 (yeah fuel up 24 times in 1 month:D) and mpg on each one for that tank I fueled up. I'll also add the place I fuel up at.

Alright, you'll notice once in a while you'll see a really really low mpg number, well i've had tank venting problems with this machine since we have it, and sometimes it prevents me from filling it up properly, and I can tell when that happens by where the gauge sits after a fill up. Oh and by the way I don't "top it up" When the handle clicks, that's it. And my calculations are using miles and U.S gallons.

1 - Watertown, NY (no mpg)
2 - New Milford, PA (11.8mpg)
3 - Carlisle, PA (10.6mpg)
4 - Carmel Church, VA (12.7mpg)
5 - Halifax, NC (11.6mpg)
6 - Southport, NC (10.6mpg)
7 - ? (9.8mpg)
8 - ? (10.8)
9 - Daytona Beach, FL (14.7mpg) <------ best new mpg number!
10 - Kissimee, FL (13.9mpg)
11 - Kissimee, FL (11.5mpg)
12 - Boynton Beach, FL (13mpg)
13 - East Naples, FL (13.1mpg)
14 - Fort Myers, FL (12.9mpg)
15 - Port Charlotte, FL (12.7mpg)
16 - Ocala, FL (12mpg)
17 - Orange Park, FL (9.6mpg) <--- last fuel up WITHOUT trailer
18 - Brunswick, GA (9.6mpg)
19 - Manning, SC (11.2mpg)
20 - ? (11.9mpg)
21 - Carmel church, VA (8.8mpg) - Think my IDI went 460 on me there :-X04
22 - Jonestown, PA (10.1mpg)
23 - Central Square, NY (not filled up)
24 - Watertown, NY (home, not fueled up yet)

Not bad for a non turbo 3 speed dually house a wheels I guess :-X03

And heres when I towed from a scrap yard near Orange Park, FL

A top of the line, tip top shape rust free cab! And chrome step bumper for the F150.
You must be registered for see images attach

:-X06

:D

Heres an underneath sneak peak :D

Now heres a rather sad story about this poor little truck of how it ended up in a scrap yard...

1 owner older gentleman had it, had it freshly painted 2 years ago, 8 months after the new paint, the engine blew (302, E4OD) so to him it was just an old truck and not really worth anything :-X15

The truck didn't have a single scratch, dent or dirt anywhere on it! The box, front clip, everything was factory fresh condition!

It's a fully loaded XLT Lariat, short box F150 with a super clean RED interior :D I mean really clean, for a southern vehicle, the vinyl trim on the dash isn't even dryed up, faded or anything, still looks new! All the original owners manual and sales papers are still in the glove compartment! Even still has the clean original cassette playing radio, witch will end up in the F150.

Single only bad thing I can say about this cab, is it's an XLT Lariat cab, and i'm gonna have to convert it to a Custom cab, meaning i'm gonna have to tac weld all the screw holes that hold all the interior trim and headliner.

But hey, for 350$ for the cab, 50$ for the bumper, and 300$ for the flat bed trailer, can't complain! I had to buy that flat bed trailer from the scrap yard, payed cash, cause U-haul didn't wanna rent me the trailer that I needed out of town for a 1 way trip. Now I had a lil trouble at the border being a home made trailer with no VIN tag on it.... but anyways got it here now and gonna keep it, it's gonna be useful to me!

And almost 2 weeks in, found a tranny cooler for this thing, it's a Torq-Flo Super Cool 11"x11"x3/4" and just zip tied to the back of the grill. Says it's for Class A motorhomes towing up to 10k lbs. I would like abit bigger though... but she'll do for now.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Cool!

I always wondered what kind of mileage those IDI MHs could get. My old 440 Vogue get 9-10 unladen with the wind at our back and 6-7 with the enclosed trailer behind.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
man you drove right through my back yard,basically, would of loved to meet ya.good luck with that rust free cab:thumbsup:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever weigh the motor Home? Mine like yours a 26 footer with a 460 and C6 weighs in at 11200 lbs., that milage is damn good. Take the total milage you traveled and all the fuel gallons and get an average MPG or KM if you prefer. Let us know. I think I'm getting about 8-9 MPG. Come to think about it, I stuffed an Onan 6.5 in it and haven't re-weighed it, prolly 450 lbs. more.

Attachments

• DVC01233.JPG
    DVC01233.JPG
    289.1 KB · Views: 6

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice numbers.....

and BTW - That truck on the trailer is missing some parts.......:rotflmao

Glad you had a great trip, and good to see your Bricknose will get some "love" with the bounty from the trip.....

Nice little trailer... I have one that I use to haul my Cub Cadet Garden Tractor.... that trailer has come in handy more times that I can count. It is nice, since I have only had enclosed,finished interior vehicles (SUV's) it is nice to be able to throw the dirty, nasty, grimey things on the trailer and keep them outside. Have a hitch-packer also.... but you can only carry so much on one of those......

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Did you ever weigh the motor Home? Mine like yours a 26 footer with a 460 and C6 weighs in at 11200 lbs., that milage is damn good. Take the total milage you traveled and all the fuel gallons and get an average MPG or KM if you prefer. Let us know. I think I'm getting about 8-9 MPG. Come to think about it, I stuffed an Onan 6.5 in it and haven't re-weighed it, prolly 450 lbs. more.

The sticker on the side of it's total weight from the factory says 52xx kg witch comes to 11,400 lbs.

The previous owner finished the interior flooring with nice parkay hard wood floors witch really added weight, still has the big 2cyl flat head points ignition 4k watt Onan genny in there.

Loaded up as much as we do for these long trips, i'm sure were over 12,500lbs.

Next long trip I will stop in at a truck stop scale and weigh it. I wanted to this year but never got around to it, and when I did, I had the trailer so didn't bother.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
I'm a HEAVY sleeper!! A freight train could crash through my house and take out my night stand and I wouldn't even flinch an eye , lol