Axle tech - singing in the lane....

Black dawg

Reaction score
have you checked the front bearings closely? If the rear diff was still tight, and pinion bearings are tight, I would leave that stuff alone. Did the noise change with throttle phase?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noise doesn't change with throttle, just road speed. It has a feel and sound of gears....

Black dawg

Reaction score
if the ring and pinion (because of lack of preloaded bearings, or incorrect setup) was making noise it would change with throttle phase. I would be suspicious of wheel bearings since the sound changes while turning.

I dont have much experience with excursions, but lots of suburbans and vans, the big interior can make noises sound like they come from the other end.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked the hubs while I had the axle stubs out, and everything felt good there. But, that's where I may have to look if this change doesn't pan out.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mel i seen this before a few times the backlash is the problem 99% of the time
dis assemble and get a shim pack and some tool to properly measure backlash then properly ship and use that tooth engagement paint goop to check your engaugement pattern then once all checks out add some good oil and take her for a spin

the ex has had isssues with whining axles everyone i know who has one has done it at least once

and turning and it stops adds to a carrier problem due to ls in most of these axles similar to or trucks

but they used a lower quality shim etc to save money or something in the exs ( some places even show a different pt number) and they seem to not hold up too well

ps do the tooth engagement on both sides of ring to make sure the ring gear aint warpped i seen that once

pac11

Reaction score
If the sound goes away on right corners only and no change in sound while coasting with slack, power or deceleration in the driveline then it can't be a gear contact, carrier bearing or pinion bearing issue. If you have 4wd and this is a full floater take the carrier out and go for a drive. (Take the drive shaft out if you don't want to fill it with oil for the pinion bearing.)

Black dawg

Reaction score
get it figured out?? I had an EX in the other day that had noisy t case bearings that I could have sworn the rear end was noisy. The cab sure can make things sound different.