auto vs a stick for a diesel in heavy populated area's?

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went out of my way to find a manual transmission car when I was looking for my Jetta.

The Mk4 VW autos are garbage so that was the only way to go anyway. :)

I'm in stop an go traffic with a manual every day (my Jetta). I don't mind it. But I would never bring my truck into the city. Way too big. Get a Vespa.

Tim.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love driving a stick but I hate having one in heavy traffic. I also like being able to install a big/full center console which cannot be done with a stick.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm in stop an go traffic with a manual every day (my Jetta). I don't mind it. But I would never bring my truck into the city. Way too big. Get a Vespa.

Tim.

I don't think we can fairly do a auto vs manual, truck vs car.

These trucks take way more peddle pressure than any car I've ever driven.
Especially jettas.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Frankly this is something Im debating as well for when my E4OD goes out (ZF6 vs 4R100 beefed up), for now my current pro con is simple; ZF6 = Physical connection and 100% control, no computers or electronics to fail but more maintenance,slight modifications to bellhousing required, harder in traffic, and maneuvering the trailer (but partly makes up for it with granny gear) 4R100 = Easier in traffic and maneuvering a trailer, bolt on affair, torque convertor will make launches easier/better. while on the flip side you have a computer that can fail and would probably cost a bit more. Long story short it all boils down to prefrences and intended use.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Don't forget the cooler for a zf-6. Unless you're running around heavily loaded ALL the time, I find L gear useless. (But thats in a 550 with 5.xx something gears, it stays pretty well over loaded) Not to mention having to double clutch from L to 1.

I want a trans that I could safety float gears with.

In my 79 chevy, I could go without touching the clutch for a long time. (Sm465) Mainly reverse and from a complete stop.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Already have a cooler since its currently an E4OD and Im thinking L would mainly be for maneuvering the trailer and since the primary use of this truck is hauling the car trailer... (that and snow/off roading)