Auto diesel vs diesel #2?

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also wind chill don't affect motors like you would think got to take into consideration humidity that hurts diesels big time even when frozen

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO and @Farmer Rock your Probibly getting #2 winter blend by now I dose all my diesels. Starting Oct and last winter I was faithfully running my 86 f350 with A 6.9 at -35* f and on #2 winter blend and dosed but normal untreated winter blend diesel can jell at -10.
I think they start switching to blended fuel in October around here. What people don't realize is that despite the fact that they may live farther south than I do and the weather may stay warmer for way longer there then it does here, since there is no way to tell where a diesel powered vehicle may be going, the fuel has to be blended there too. Now small, local gas stations may do this at different times than truck stops do. Even in southern California, southern Texas, and southern Florida I'll bet that the fuel is blended by this time of the year, at least in truck stops.
Thanks for the info. I had no idea what the gelling temperature of blended fuel is. I do have to admit that there was a guy who was working with me at the time that I drove my 6.9 to work on the -4* morning who had two of those "easy start" Cummins. He couldn't believe that I had driven my diesel in that temperature. He said that his wouldn't start at 5*. That was with a battery charger attached, jumper cables attached, and using ether.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish ot was that simple IV ran from southern Utah to Montana in the winter and had slight issues due to lack of treatment

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I worked at a BioDiesel plant several years ago, we 'inherited' several jars of the red dye. The stuff was ridiculously concentrated, something like 1 quart per 10,000 gallons of fuel! I was warned to not get it on anything, as it's nearly impossible to remove.
I was also warned to not ever run red dyed diesel in my pickup, as the residue may cause it to appear positive if tested by the State Troopers and such.
I just ran B99 in my F-250, no dye and no worries!

Eli

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
When I worked at a BioDiesel plant several years ago, we 'inherited' several jars of the red dye. The stuff was ridiculously concentrated, something like 1 quart per 10,000 gallons of fuel! I was warned to not get it on anything, as it's nearly impossible to remove.
I was also warned to not ever run red dyed diesel in my pickup, as the residue may cause it to appear positive if tested by the State Troopers and such.
I just ran B99 in my F-250, no dye and no worries!

Eli

I’ve heard it takes a 20x dilution to make it undetectible... Meaning 1 gallon of red diesel, would take 20+ gallons of green diesel to make it undetectable.....

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does off road diesel have more sulfer in it because off road vehicles dont have DPFs or is all diesel sold now that 15ppm BS

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in thee prk.
I douthbt anywhere these days.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does off road diesel have more sulfer in it because off road vehicles dont have DPFs or is all diesel sold now that 15ppm BS

It's all the same now. Just the dye is the difference.

I would think homemade bio diesel or waste oil would have the same problem since you are not paying taxes on it. But I suppose they would have no proof in court that you were not running taxed fuel. The dye is proof the court would accept I suppose.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All new Diesel engines over 25hp (with perhaps the exception of marine engines) have too meet emissions standards. That means DPF’s. So it all has to be ULSD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Back in my trucking days in the '70's & '80's we used to run #1 which was same as kerosene in wintertime.
I used to carry couple jugs/buckets of regular gas with me, or add 10-15 gal regular gas / 100-150 gal of #2 in winter time if I couldn't find #1 when I filled up.
In very cold wintertimes (-25, -35, -40 conditions) I'd add 3-5 or so gal regular gas / 100 gal #1 diesel at fillup.
Even today in winter cold weather I still add bout 1 gal non ethanol gas to my 48 gal rear Bronco fuel tank I replaced last yr & about 1/2 gal gas to my factory front tank at fill-up on my '90 CC Dually with my '94 factory IDIT.
This yr been milder, but sometimes round here it gets -20F-30F lots.

BTW, my rear 38 gal Bronco fuel tank got stretched & bulged a little bit to 48 gal when I plugged all the holes & shot few #'s air to it before I installed it. hahaha

BTW#2.....it's no fun when yo fuel gels in very cold wintertime conditions & you got a load on & in hurry & a delivery deadline!!! LOL

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has to do with how much vehicles tear up the roads. Semis do more road damage than our IDIs, so Arizona charges them a higher fuel tax, which goes towards roads.

Here diesel is not taxed at the pump for any vehicle - rather the govt charges for a distance licence which varies depending on the weight band you fall into.

Something like an idi f250 would fall between 3.5 ton and 6 ton so would pay 8.2 cents per Km (under 3.5 ton glw it's 7.6 cents/km) , a full size 4 axle truck with a 5 axle trailer would come in at just over 60 cents per km.

Where this gets creative is in the under 3.5 ton range as those vehicles buy there road tax (ruc) based on the odometer reading .......... if you ever come to NZ and purchase a light diesel vehicle make sure you take the odo reading with a grain of salt lol.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here diesel is not taxed at the pump for any vehicle - rather the govt charges for a distance licence which varies depending on the weight band you fall into.

Something like an idi f250 would fall between 3.5 ton and 6 ton so would pay 8.2 cents per Km (under 3.5 ton glw it's 7.6 cents/km) , a full size 4 axle truck with a 5 axle trailer would come in at just over 60 cents per km.

Where this gets creative is in the under 3.5 ton range as those vehicles buy there road tax (ruc) based on the odometer reading .......... if you ever come to NZ and purchase a light diesel vehicle make sure you take the odo reading with a grain of salt lol.

That's interesting. So do you self report your mileage/km traveled at registration time? Or is it inspected annually? Or how does that work then? I don't think it's a bad way of doing it, especially with electric cars becoming more and more common.