Auto diesel vs diesel #2?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
@miles1400, I'm not sure about WMO or WVO.... but if I remember correctly, in the code the is a "if this is personal, not-for-profit vehicle" they will let it slide... not 100% sure, but I've never heard of anyone getting "busted" for WMO.... but I have red diesel....

I had even heard part of the reason MMO (Marvels Mystery Oil) is not longer red is because the color would cause issues with the DOT. Once the fuel was chemically tested, they would be cleared, because the chemical composition was not correct, but it would still get someone investigated for MFT tax evasion.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I think the tax exempt truck diesel being referred to here is likely exempt from an additional tax added on top of the tax difference between dyed diesel and clear that some states likely do.

Yeah it's not tax exempt, just taxed at a lower amount. They even say that if you fill your lighter weight vehicle at the higher priced pump, the station has to give you a rebate for the excess tax you pay of 8 cents per gallon. I don't think many people bother but it's within the tax law that you can do that.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Around here its all the same. Doesn't matter if you fill up where the big truck fill up or out front where the gas pumps are at its all the same price.

Speaking of fuel oil or heating oil its just diesel fuel without the road tax and dyed red. Same as off road fuel.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I won't even attempt to join this debate. I can't even remember which is #1 and which is #2. I just call them summer diesel and winter diesel. As long as I can legally run it and it comes out of a pump at a gas station, I'm happy.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't even attempt to join this debate. I can't even remember which is #1 and which is #2. I just call them summer diesel and winter diesel. As long as I can legally run it and it comes out of a pump at a gas station, I'm happy.

All I remember is #1 is supposed to be less susceptible to gelling, and if it's taxed it's not red. That's good enough for me too LOL

I've seen auto vs truck diesel but around here it's just nozzle size because they're taxed at the same rate. I don't know how other states do it but at least NY charges Highway Use Tax to larger trucks which probably accomplishes the same end goal as charging trucks more for the fuel.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're absolutely right.I got mixed up.I was thinking of #2 oil which is home heating oil and offroad diesel fuel.

Rock

You are not mixed up. Where I work at we have diesel generator sets and oil fired boilers. When the fuel truck comes to fill the tanks, they all get the red #2.

Last year I was getting low on fuel oil in my tank at home, and it was near the end of the season, fuel oil was still sold at a inflated price. I got 2 55 gallon plastic barrels, put them in my pickup and drove down to the southern states place and filled them both with off road diesel. The only problem I had was one of my credit cards would not let me get over $100 worth of fuel. I think at that time I paid $2.15 per gallon for the off road, I called them to see how much delivery would be and it was something like 2.86 per gallon.

Brought the 100 gallons of off road diesel home, and back up to my home fuel oil tank. Put a old fuel pump out of a gas dodge van I used to have down in the barrel and ran it with my 12v battery charger and walked away. Pumped both barrels of fuel into the tank and that got me through the season till I was able to get the delivery truck out in the middle of the summer when prices had dropped. My furnace ran fine, it's the same thing.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
and if it's taxed it's not red.
That part's easy enough for me to keep straight. I can still remember the first time that I saw "not red" diesel back in the early 90's. It looked like a light green color. Some guy was putting it into an opaque container (may have even been a milk jug) for whatever reason. I can still remember thinking "Oh my God! He's getting antifreeze out of that pump!" I had to look at the pump after I paid for my gas and he was gone to figure it out. It still keeps me straight on the colors.LOL

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 and #2 are both on road fuel. And dyed fuel is off road only in Montana its .50 cents cheaper due to no taxes on it Also dyed diesel is fuel oil but fuel oil id even cheaper because there are less taxes on that I think another .70 cents on topof the .50 for red. Fuel also if you dont know the differwnce between #1 & #2 fuel stay in the warmer country you will only have issues when it gets cold also it only takes a little bit of summer fuel to cause a full tank to jell and once jelled it takes a bit of heat to unjell even with additives

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thee prk will make you midwest guys cry, red is cheapest of the water they make here, then it is ALL #2.dot rapes +10k gcvw rigs.
But we get "off road" pane also...
Anyone seen powersmoke around?
His input would rock.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Fuel also if you dont know the differwnce between #1 & #2 fuel stay in the warmer country you will only have issues when it gets cold also it only takes a little bit of summer fuel to cause a full tank to jell and once jelled it takes a bit of heat to unjell even with additives
I just use whatever comes out of the pump. I've only had issues one time. It was around 0*, the northwest wind was blowing around 30MPH, and I was in parking lots with no wind protection. If I think that my truck will be in a similar situation, I'll add an antigel to the tank. Otherwise, I won't. I've driven my first '85 F250 with a 6.9 at -4* (not much wind) with only minor issues. Once I got up to highway speed, it went down the road just fine. I'll also use antigel for that kind of temperatures.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I just use whatever comes out of the pump. I've only had issues one time. It was around 0*, the northwest wind was blowing around 30MPH, and I was in parking lots with no wind protection. If I think that my truck will be in a similar situation, I'll add an antigel to the tank. Otherwise, I won't. I've driven my first '85 F250 with a 6.9 at -4* (not much wind) with only minor issues. Once I got up to highway speed, it went down the road just fine. I'll also use antigel for that kind of temperatures.
x2
FWIW I always keep a container of anti-gel and a container of emergency diesel thaw in my trucks,since you can never be so sure the fuel station isn't mixing fuel come the end of the year.

Rock

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO and @Farmer Rock your Probibly getting #2 winter blend by now I dose all my diesels. Starting Oct and last winter I was faithfully running my 86 f350 with A 6.9 at -35* f and on #2 winter blend and dosed but normal untreated winter blend diesel can jell at -10.