Auto diesel vs diesel #2?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Something like an idi f250 would fall between 3.5 ton and 6 ton so would pay 8.2 cents per Km (under 3.5 ton glw it's 7.6 cents/km) , a full size 4 axle truck with a 5 axle trailer would come in at just over 60 cents per km.
That sounds like it's on the expensive side until you consider the situation. You're on an island (or group of islands) that probably don't have much in the way of it's own petroleum reserves. That means that it all would have to be shipped in.

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. So do you self report your mileage/km traveled at registration time? Or is it inspected annually? Or how does that work then? I don't think it's a bad way of doing it, especially with electric cars becoming more and more common.

You buy your mileage up front in 1000km increments..... all light vehicles undergo a comprehensive safety inspection at 6 or 12 monthly intervals depending on the year of manufacture - pre 2000 it's 6 monthly and 2000 or later it's 12 monthly. God help you if you are over your ruc/mileage when you get pulled up by the cops or go for your safety check!!!! And god help you even more if you get caught "modifying" your odometer - that doesn't stop people though.

All vehicles over 3500glw are considered to be in commercial class and have a six monthly inspection regime which is pretty tough plus they are mostly run on hubmeters or what they call "E" road ...... gps based system that can be linked to your bank account to automatically buy mileage in 1000km increments.

Electric cars here are ruc exempt until 2021 ....... just watch the greenies squeal when they get lumped with that particular bill lol.

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like it's on the expensive side until you consider the situation. You're on an island (or group of islands) that probably don't have much in the way of it's own petroleum reserves. That means that it all would have to be shipped in.

All our crude produced here is exported as it's considered "sweet/light" apparently. We do have a refinery but there is a lot of refined product imported as well. Our fearless leader of the current govt has put a moratorium on further exploration for oil but we have mapped out some pretty decent reserves already.

Our biggest trouble with roading is that the whole of NZ is about half the size of California but we only have about 5 million people ...... 80% of them live in the north island which is about 2/3rds the size of the South Island - our Main highway is only 2 lane blacktop with no dividers unless near a large city. Petrol/gas is a different story with 1/2 the price of $2.00/litre being tax...... to fill my old f150 is around $220-$240 depending on how empty it got and the days price.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Petrol/gas is a different story with 1/2 the price of $2.00/litre being tax...... to fill my old f150 is around $220-$240 depending on how empty it got and the days price.
That is absolutely horrible! At the value of $1NZ being worth about $.71USD, you're talking about $156.20-$170.40 just to fill up with gas!:eek::cry:

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ew, not so cool then. I guess my thought is that if you're getting inspected annually or semi-annually, why would you need to pre-buy mileage then? Go to your annual inspection, read the odometer, pay the tax, get your plates for next year. Cheaters will always cheat. A guy local to me went 4 years on an expired registration, he was finally caught and his fine was less then what he would have paid for being legal.

I understand the difference between sweet vs sour crude. Sour crude is high in sulfur, sweet is low in it. The high sulfur requires additional steps at the refinery to be used as fuel, think ultra low sulfur diesel (ulsd) fuel. Some other uses for crude oil don't require the sulfur to be removed, so sour crude will be used for them and processed at the refinery for them, whereas your sweet crude will be shipped to a refinery that produces motor fuel.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A guy local to me went 4 years on an expired registration, he was finally caught and his fine was less then what he would have paid for being legal.

That same bs is why lots of people run trailer tags from Maine. My personal trailer is $75/yr in New York. It's $150 for 10 years through Maine. It's a gamble, because it's a grey area that's technically not legal, but there's really nothing they can charge you for either. I'm sure they'll find something if they want, but I find that USUALLY if you don't give them a reason not to be, they're pretty decent at least around here. Definitely not something I'd mess with if I was running commercial though.

Kinda like driving a car with no plates, you'll be in way less trouble driving with expired tags or no tags than you would be if you slapped a different plate on it. You're better off breaking the law than trying to make it LOOK like you're not LOL

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ew, not so cool then. I guess my thought is that if you're getting inspected annually or semi-annually, why would you need to pre-buy mileage then? Go to your annual inspection, read the odometer, pay the tax, get your plates for next year. Cheaters will always cheat. A guy local to me went 4 years on an expired registration, he was finally caught and his fine was less then what he would have paid for being legal.

The govt doesn't trust us not to pay taxes lol (in my workshop business i have to "prepay" next years tax this year based on an estimate of my earnings)..... you always have to have mileage up front , if you get caught and you are less than 1000km over your mileage sticker then you'll normally get a warning and told to bring it up to date asap unless you pissed the cop off in which case they'll book you. That'll cost you a fine which will/can be around the same value of the mileage you're over by plus you'll have to bring it up to date as well.

Also if you buy a diesel vehicle that is over on the mileage , it's on you to bring it up to date ........ i've seen some nice trucks/cars go pretty cheap as they have been that far out on their mileage.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
This needs to get back on track NOW or it will be closed down.

I’ve cleaned up the thread, and if it goes this direction again, it will be closed down and vacations issued. Some of you have been warned in the past.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That same bs is why lots of people run trailer tags from Maine. My personal trailer is $75/yr in New York. It's $150 for 10 years through Maine. It's a gamble, because it's a grey area that's technically not legal, but there's really nothing they can charge you for either. I'm sure they'll find something if they want, but I find that USUALLY if you don't give them a reason not to be, they're pretty decent at least around here. Definitely not something I'd mess with if I was running commercial though.

Kinda like driving a car with no plates, you'll be in way less trouble driving with expired tags or no tags than you would be if you slapped a different plate on it. You're better off breaking the law than trying to make it LOOK like you're not LOL

Yeah, trailers are the same deal. We have 1 plate for the 4 trailers we own. I just swap the plate to whatever one I'm using at the time. I'm sure it's illegal because I believe the trailer registration says homemade, and only 1 of them is lol. That, and I think it goes off of weight, which would for sure be wrong because the homemade trailer is the lightest of the 4. I know if I had to register all 4, I'd let them all expire because they move so rarely, so the fine would definitely be less. I know guys who use a slow moving triangle on the back of every trailer and think they're legal that way.

Oh well, I'll cross that legal bridge when it happens.

I will have to look into that maine trailer plate deal. Granted, Ohio is a lot farther from maine then NY is, but what's it really matter? I really like the 10 year length of it. My personal vehicles come up on my birthday in November, the commercial vehicles come up in May, and the trailers come up in July I believe. Regardless, going to the dmv once is a pain, let alone 3 times every year. And I always forget one of them and end up with something expired. So 10 years would reduce that frequency.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That same bs is why lots of people run trailer tags from Maine. My personal trailer is $75/yr in New York. It's $150 for 10 years through Maine.

People like to plate swap Arkansas trailer plates (if not outright sell them) because they never expire, never have to renewed after you pay the initial ~$35 including the title fee for the trailer it goes on. The plates have no sticker and say "PERM TRAILER". I suppose they might make you replace it after so many years due to them aging on the reflective stuff, like with car plates?

It's seriously illegal though, much like plate swapping between cars (it's registered with the trailer's VIN) since you can:

A) avoid paying registration on more than one trailer (required to within 30 days, with exception if it gets parked and never used on-road)
B) avoid paying state personal property tax on extra trailers by not having them on your tax assessment, even if it's not in use on-road (aka hiding assets aka tax fraud)

Better off paying the $35 once each per trailer, but people are cheapskates over that and would rather commit tax fraud to save $35.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.