ATS turbo

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I achieved increased performance from my 088 by wrapping the crossover/up-pipes with header wrap, running 4" exhaust from downpipe back, and I have a K&N in the ATS airbox. Being non-wastegated, it's always going to have low boost in the low RPMs. It does pick up much better than it did before the mods, and can hit 11-12 psi max vs. 7-8 psi before.

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to do that. I was going to eliminate the huge box and do a cone filter my truck runs about 2000 to 2200 rpm while I'm driving at 35- 40. And I'm looking to put 4inch coming off my down pipe out the back. But my turbo only allows for 3 inch down pipe.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to do that. I was going to eliminate the huge box and do a cone filter my truck runs about 2000 to 2200 rpm while I'm driving at 35- 40. And I'm looking to put 4inch coming off my down pipe out the back. But my turbo only allows for 3 inch down pipe.

2000 to 2500 at 40mph? Somethings not right there. Even with a C6 I'm no where near 2000 at 40. What kind of trans and rear gearing do you have? At 2500 that turbo should be pulling boost.

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure anymore to be honest and on my way home I'll watch my rpm my trany is a three speed auto

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But I don't have a o ring on my turbo hat so could that be part of my issue and maybe it' s more like 1500 or less

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I hope my exhaust isn't to short because it's dumping right behind the cab straight piped for now till I have time to fix it.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My exhaust exits out the side, right behind the cab. Shorter amount of pipe for the exhaust to go through means less back pressure. My downpipe is 3" and as soon as it bends parallel to the frame it bumps up to 4".

I had a cone filter coming off the turbo for a little while, along with a road draft tube for the crankcase vent. It did seem to help with spooling a little better, and sounded awesome. However, I didn't like the idea of pulling in the hot engine bay air. Also had some issues with the RDT not flowing enough so I had oil seeping from seals, so I went back to the ATS airbox. It seems to flow just fine with the K&N and pulls ambient temp air in rather than hot air.

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok what is a road draft tube ? Do you have any pics ?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think your under hood air temp would be an issue other than at stops. I have an idi and powerstroke, powerstroke has intake air temp guage, when I'm moving the under hood temp is within a few degrees of outside temp. Get that intake air moving it will help. I have an 088 on my idi. Which air box do you have on your 088, I have the rectangular one and found it to be restrictive, cut another hole in opposite end of air box and made more air flow and turbo spool earlier.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A road draft tube vents the crankcase to the atmosphere rather than through the CDR into the intake

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is exactly the box I have big bulky aluminum rectangle ha. Ok what is the CDR then because im going to try to make this truck run best I can I'm not looking to make a power monster but a good work horse.

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone changed the wheel in the ATS 088 to something else? Or would it be better to find a different turbo

mbarry98

Reaction score
I'm wondering instead of changing the wheel if switching to a typ4 cam would help with the low end power I'm not sure if it would help the turbo any but the change in hp and torque from the dyno graphs is shocking. As far as turbo performance the best way to get it to spool is adding more fuel I have seen close to 15psi with my 88 and I am careful now as thats ******* factory studs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering instead of changing the wheel if switching to a typ4 cam would help with the low end power I'm not sure if it would help the turbo any but the change in hp and torque from the dyno graphs is shocking. As far as turbo performance the best way to get it to spool is adding more fuel I have seen close to 15psi with my 88 and I am careful now as thats ******* factory studs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, time for studs!!! I was excited to see 12 on mine, only to be met with the reality of the fact that it's a gamble at that point without being studded, let alone I haven't seen inside my engine to know the condition of everything that's supporting that pressure.

knightlogger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have all new head bolts and I'm thinking of doing a cam but don't want to tear down my block again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online