ATS turbo, injection pump, injectors and glow plug questions

fine6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, here's the deal:

I bought a complete 7.3 with an early non-wastegated turbo kit. What I need to know is, is there any place to get parts for these turbo kits anymore? I called and talked to ATS and they no longer carry hardly anything for these.

My next question, my plan is to take and put this kit, and injection pump off the 7.3 and put it on my son's 6.9, what should I do to make sure this pump is in good working order before we put it on? What injectors and glow plugs should we use?

I figure while we are at it, we should put new injectors and glow plugs in.

Any help or suggestions would be great!

Thanks, Chad

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Glowplugs : Beru or Motorcraft brand is your safest bet. Beru makes the motorcraft brand and you can get those at Autozone cheaper than your ford dealer. Just ask for part number ZD-9 at the autozone counter - it will actually come in a motorcraft branded bag.

Injectors : I would just make sure that they are all the same letter code - I was never quite a fan of mix matching the injectors. G code injectors are supposed to be the highest flowing injector stock. Now after seeing Mel's Moose Squirters in person I would highly recommend them the spray pattern on those is much better than any stock injector I have seen for the IDI's.

and if you need a hand - I'm not all that far from ya... I'm in Andrews

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think you need for the ATS turbo? Is it an 088 or 085 version? They use Garret turbos and most of the parts can be had through Typ4 (Russ) who's a member here, or many online places, but be careful... also many good local fuel injection and turbo shops would have the parts to overhaul any Garret turbo including this one. Cold side orings can be matched up at a hardware store or a Caterpillar dealer, and towcat mentioned a shop somewhere that carries some obsolete ATS parts, I can never remember who they are. The parts that are dealer only and NLA are the pedestal, and the cast iron up pipe and casting collector. ATS still has a downpipe to fit these turbos and a good exhaust shop *might* be able to fabricate one or in a pinch you could use flex tubing but that's probably a sub-par solution. As far as the fuel system, I don't know how the pump and injectors are on your son's 6.9 but there really isn't enough difference to justify the swap. A stock 6.9 pump may deliver slightly less useable fuel than a 7.3 pump due to the slightly smaller fuel delivery plungers (.0029" vs .0031") but the difficulty of the swap leads me to think that only a Moose pump or similarly "hot" injection pump is worth the effort. The injectors should probably be pop tested for spray pattern and opening pressure, and should be either replaced or reset unless they are all good and within 50-100 psi of each other. This aids in timing. Timing should be done with tools but aligning the scribe marks and timing by ear will be enough to make sure it runs passably without breaking things as long as the gears have not jumped timing. The thing I'd be most concerned about on turbocharging an older 6.9 is that if it has a lot of blowby expect the turbo to make it worse, not saying you shouldn't do it but expect any weak spots to show up more. Speaking of weak spots...how many miles on the engine? Are the head gaskets original? If not how many years on them? If you trust the head gaskets, and the engine is in pretty good health 10-12 psi is plenty for stock bolts and easy for that ATS non gated system if the fuel is turned up sufficiently and there is enough load on the engine. Anything above that you need head studs and probably an intercooler or water injection. By the way a pyrometer is mandatory and should never go above 1250 degrees if in the crossover pipe not more than 3" from the exhaust manifold or tapped into the manifold itself, not more than 1050 in ATS stock location and somewhat cooler than that like 900 or less if on the cold side of the turbo. Good luck, I LOVE my ATS setup, sounds awesome with the straight 4" pipe.

fine6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! The parts I need are the dipstick tube for a c-6 and I want to replace all the orings. I really want to get a set of injectors from Russ and I checked with our autozone, I can get the glow plugs for 15 each.

I also want to change the glow plug system over to the 7.3 system, any suggestions? I looked in the tech section and the article on this is kind of confusing to me, not much experience on electrical stuff.

Travis thanks, I will give you a shout if we need some help!:thumbsup: