ATS turbo downpipe issue

Biggz

Reaction score
Well i have been out beatin' the absolute snot out of the new truck. So i figured i would give her some much deserved TLC. When I was changing the oil I noticed what looked like a exhaust leak around the downpipe. No big deal right, but I can see a flange or anything the put a gasket in or a flange to tighten down. Does this sound right? To me it looks like the downpipe just slides into the compressor housing. I mean it was late, but I think i saw it right. Hell its cheap enough through ATS the big downpipe os only like $90 through ATS. Any ideas fellas.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If you have the upgraded housing, yes all it does is slip into the housing. Some people use some sort of hardening agent on the pipe to get it to seal better, but if you have to take it off, it would be so hard to break that seal.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
trust me, you don't want to fool with it if it's not falling off. Trying to get that pipe out is an exercise in automotive acrobatics and creative language -cuss Getting it to go back in is even more fun.And chances are a new downpipe would fit even worse. Their quality control is such that some come oversize and have to be ground down to go in the hole ( like mine ) and some come so loose they slide in and don't want to stay put and leak around the edges. Eventually the carbon build up on those will pretty well seal off the leak, if not and it's still leaking some exhaust assembly paste or furnace cement will seal it.