ATS oil return leak

pafixitman

Reaction score
I think I discovered another leak. I noticed the back of the motor had a ton of oil on it and my "leak" consumption had gone through the roof. After work yesterday, I climbed on top the motor and looking straight down, I could see past the return pedestal into the valley. about an 1/8" gap next to the grommet in the valley pan.-cuss Drove to the job site and let the motor cool off. The only thing I had was copper RTV. I smeared that around the return and think (it was 25*, 9:00pm and dark!) I got it sealed up. I let the truck sit for about 2 hrs before I left.

Do you think it will hold? Should I pull the turbo and replace the grommet? Why would a Fed-Mogul intake pan have a different size grommet than a factory pan?

I know, I should have paid closer attention on re-assembly! :confused: :backoff

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Some guys have all the luck, Obviously you're not one of those guys:D . It may hold, But we all know you won't be able to stand it, So just pull the turbo and fix it right.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Some guys have all the luck, Obviously you're not one of those guys:D . It may hold, But we all know you won't be able to stand it, So just pull the turbo and fix it right.

Learning curve I guess! You are correct that I can't stand it, but can I stand it untill the weather gets warmer? I actually cringed doing what I did last night. I was thinking "This is soo redneck!"

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Rednecking it gets you off the dark side of the moon sometimes. Mostly it buys you some time. If the gap was oily it wont hold long but at least you found it and have slowed it down for a while. They do have differant size gaskets for this. I needed one for my Banks sidewinder so I drove the 15 miles and bought one. Its great when you have the time and the drive is no big deal.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I tried to clean it as good as possible. Since it was open to the valley I did not hose it w/ brake cleaner. I need to find a warm garage!

Gary, you keep rubbing in our face this "free time" you have. Don't you need to go to the midwest and pick up some Cords? Or did you "pass" so you can bother us?:rotflmao :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe, did you inspect your valley pan good when you put it in? The baffle should have had openings at the ends. Some of them are sealed and only have a few small holes in them. Obviously the gap was a problem, but if the baffle is outdated, their will be more presure on your redneck seal.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Not real good, but it was open. It looked identical to the IH part I used in SC. Obviously the grommet was different! I put 100 miles on it yesterday and my oil consumption was negligable. What was seen at Hoss' is where it should be w/ the oil pan leak. It recently went to about a qt. or more on the ground when parked. I went through 3 gallons Saturday to Monday night.:eek:

Don't tell me I should pull the intake again.;Really -cuss :confused: :puke:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Joe... I passed on the 2 Cords. They went for about $60,000.00 and that was well within my means. The wife said no way in *ell are you buying those.. I should have just bought them and stored them somewhere. A chance like that will never come up again. I did talk to the historian for the Cord Club. Both cars didn't have the original motors but still they were Cords. The p.o. had them in a garage and set up the exhaust so it wound dump outside and had them covered. They had not been driven on the street for over 33 years. Both needed restoration but they were great looking and complete drivers. I really like bothering you most of all. You seem to continue to "step in it" all the time....:rotflmao At least your up and running. I'm still collecting parts. I just got a shipment from Northern Autoparts. They put the lifters, oil pump and all the gaskets in one bot. Well, the intake manifold is bent so bad I wont use it. They are shipping me another gasket. Geezs.. Some of you luck sneaks out here to me... You really need to stop that. Its not the friendly thing to do.....:backoff :D

pafixitman

Reaction score
The wife said no way in *ell are you buying those.. I should have just bought them and stored them somewhere. A chance like that will never come up again.
Forgiveness is easier than permission! I missed on the DOA engine I was bidding on. I got sniped w/ 20 seconds left. Steph was soo happy. You should have heard her Saturday when some of the guys were over. -cuss Of course they were volunteering storage space!LOL

Geezs.. Some of you luck sneaks out here to me... You really need to stop that. Its not the friendly thing to do.....:backoff :D

Sharing the love, my brother!:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7