ATS non wastegate

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I attempted to install the turbo I got from Darrin Tosh a few months ago. I destroyed the grommet under the CDR trying to get it out, I figured i would and i thought i would just get one from ATS. Knowing that I would need a new gasket, I went ahead and started mocking things up, you know, to see if everything fits. I didn't make it very far, the oil drain manifold just didn't line up. If i put it through the hole in the pan, it wouldn't pull up to the back of the intake. The only way I can see that it will work, is to either make the hole in the pan bigger, or maybe if the grommet form ATS is offset somehow.

So I called ATS today, and I was told that they don't sell parts for these things anymore. Talk about taking the wind out of your sails.. I went ahead and ordered the grommet that he had, the guy didn't know for sure, but he said that with a little trimming, it might work.

Can anyone relate to these problems, am i on the right path?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somethings not right here.

Maybe you can sneak a camera in there to show what is going on?

The original valley pan grommet worked fine for my ATS kit. Although because of the heat around that area it hardened up and I ended up jambing a fat O ring on top of the grommet to kill off a small but persistent oil leak.

I'm not sure, but I think the 085 and 088 both use the same turbo pedestals.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get one of the last sets of cold side orings and grommets for my ATS 088. I did not install the thing myself a mechanic friend of mine did almost all the hard work, I did all the parts sourcing and helped some. We had zero problems getting things to line up, the hard part was getting clearance and getting the down pipe and up pipe joints in correctly. It seems like there was a shop that still had obsolete ATS parts referenced on this site last summer or so, but I haven't heard about them in awhile and I do not remember the name of the shop.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The 085 and 088 turbo kits use the OEM style valley pan grommet. Felpro still includes them with their valley pan kits.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know Sean, is there anyplace to buy a grommet separate from the valley pan kit that you know of? They are good but they ain't cheap, as you know.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I wish JD. I've tried several times but haven't been able to find them separate. May be worth giving Felpro a call and asking them directly.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We should see if they'd do a group buy for all of us maybe 20 or so would make it worth there while. I'd like having a spare for peace of mind I think.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember Towcat was able to find grommits for the 093 turbo, which is generally considered harder to find. Maybe he'll chime in with some ideas.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea I found a place that has all of ATS's old stock for the 093 kits. But they didn't purchase any of the 085/088 grommets because they are still considered readily available because of the valley pan gasket set.

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I found a place that has all of ATS's old stock for the 093 kits. But they didn't purchase any of the 085/088 grommets because they are still considered readily available because of the valley pan gasket set.

And this place is? (mine was cracked up when i put it in but i couldnt find a replacement)

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
call hypermax, they have the grommets in stock (every time i have called so far anyway) and will ship usually the same day.

Im surprised they answered the phone at ats, it usually takes me a day to just talk to them, only to find out they wont back what they sell.

punk

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the entire grommet kit thru ATS in the beginning of June, was like 75 shipped.

I too had the same thing happen when i test fit the manifold. Couldnt figure it out but i just put the bolts in and tightened it up....the fit was perfectly flat once the bolts were tight.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the entire grommet kit thru ATS in the beginning of June, was like 75 shipped.

I too had the same thing happen when i test fit the manifold. Couldnt figure it out but i just put the bolts in and tightened it up....the fit was perfectly flat once the bolts were tight.

that's what I tried, but then I heard that dreaded POP.

I broke one of the ears off the intake manifold. That's the next project, if I can't make things work right

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You broke one of the ears off of the intake manifold? Ugh, well you might be lucky like me and you just broke a piece of it that doesn't seem to really affect the seal. I have no coolant or oil leaks there and I can hold as much boost as the turbo will push, where did it break? Pictures? It may or may not be a problem. At least there are plenty of intake manifolds out there if you need one and they aren't too awfully expensive.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You broke one of the ears off of the intake manifold? Ugh, well you might be lucky like me and you just broke a piece of it that doesn't seem to really affect the seal. I have no coolant or oil leaks there and I can hold as much boost as the turbo will push, where did it break? Pictures? It may or may not be a problem. At least there are plenty of intake manifolds out there if you need one and they aren't too awfully expensive.

It broke off one of the threaded ears where the CDR bolts up. I'm noe worried about, if the pedestal doesn't seal off, I'll swap intakes, I think I've got at least 4 spares(I haven't counted in the last few years).

and if i could figure out how to post pics I would, everytime i do it tells me they are too large