ATS 088 question

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May be dumb question's but how loud is it supposed to be, is it supposed to have a duece and a half chirp and I think I read there were different 088 kit's? If there was, is there a way for me to figure out which one I got?

What I do know about the kit is it was a complete one with the ats boost gauge and the exhaust is still intact with the muffler. Turbo spins smooth, no in and out play, a little radial. I see 3-4 ish psi high way cruise, up to 10 merging. Turbo whistle is very sooth and pronounced through the exhaust but it also has a weird chirp like the old dueces and that's what is making me curious.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
My 088 sings along very smoothly. If yours is chirping, I would be concerned about impeller to housing contact. Can you reach in there and push and pull the impeller and , at least on the intake side, feel if it's hitting anything? It's kind of hard to do on the exhause side without taking a bunch of stuff off, but may be needed to see.
I imagine someone has the specs for the play on those things so you could measure it with a dial indicator.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pushed up and down and while holding it there rotated it with no contact, it spins freely and smooth and from what I could see the impeller looked in great shape. It has a smooth whistle sound that is present at the same time.I have no clue where the egt's are, the wire was clipped and I found out why when I went to install a new sensor, it is seized in there....

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best and closest way for me to describe it is my truck sounds like a old military 2-1/2 ton truck with how they chirped through the exhaust. Boost gauge reads steady while cruising.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Chirping isn't good I wouldn't think. Mine never chirped on the brown truck. My brothers stock factory turbo chirps but I'm pretty sure its got issues with having allot of miles on it. If you can't make it contact the housings though, I honestly don't know how it could possibly contact the housings when its running. If you have a boost leak somewhere that will make a chirping sound some times when the boost is leaking past the small hole where ever it may be.

4psi cruising and 10psi max is pretty normal for a stock 088 with a mildly tuned engine. I'd say investigate the chirping some more because from the sounds of it the turbo is doing what it should be.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You got me thinking here, a pinhole combustion leak in the headgasket that has blown straight to the outside will make a chirping sound

Black dawg

Reaction score
when does it chirp. I had a truck with an 088 kit and a muffler that said ATS on it, the whistle out the exhaust sounded more like a scream that got louder when shifting. I thought that the turbo was making contact, but it was just something weird with that muffler.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chirping isn't good I wouldn't think. Mine never chirped on the brown truck. My brothers stock factory turbo chirps but I'm pretty sure its got issues with having allot of miles on it. If you can't make it contact the housings though, I honestly don't know how it could possibly contact the housings when its running. If you have a boost leak somewhere that will make a chirping sound some times when the boost is leaking past the small hole where ever it may be.

4psi cruising and 10psi max is pretty normal for a stock 088 with a mildly tuned engine. I'd say investigate the chirping some more because from the sounds of it the turbo is doing what it should be.

Good point, when I had first gotten the truck the boost gauge did not work because the hose dried and had crumbled off the port.

when does it chirp. I had a truck with an 088 kit and a muffler that said ATS on it, the whistle out the exhaust sounded more like a scream that got louder when shifting. I thought that the turbo was making contact, but it was just something weird with that muffler.

It had appeared to me to be part of the kit, I have not looked for a marking, it's just a generic looking truck muffler with a rolled seam front and back. When I could I was just going to straight pipe it any way.

As far as when it does it, as long as the turbo is making boost it makes the sound, the higher the boost the louder but there is a smooth whistle present. At idle no sound, dont even hear the turbo at all.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got me thinking here, a pinhole combustion leak in the headgasket that has blown straight to the outside will make a chirping sound

Don't scare me like that :backoff lol. It's mainly noticable when there's some thing to echo off of like a car, wall, etc and it's pretty appearent it's coming out of the exhaust. It has been idling rough time to time at operating temp. I've been just contributing that to possibly a bad injector. The reason why I suspect a bad injector is a couple times now while warming up I've had a cylinder sound like it was out of time. Dunno if that is a correct assumption though.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
come up here and well check it out.

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it chirp when you let off the accelerator? I have seem many videos where the turbo spins down and makes a different sound. I wouldn't call it a chirp but maybe a lower pitched whine. A video would help a lot.

P.S. I haven't installed my 088 yet but the intake shaft has pretty much no play in it and I have a used unit. Not sure if that helps you much.

Bunookana

Reaction score
I think the chirp he is talking about is fast and consistant with the speed of the turbo. If I understand this correctly, it is the same sound I hear from a powerstroke with a big straight pipe exhaust. It's almost like you can hear the exhaust gas get chopped by the turbine. Kinda reminds me of the prop on a plane but very high pitched.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you understand what I'm trying to explain bunookana. I found a duece vid I'll post later that you can hear it but mines a little more obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1GAfn1LMH4

My whistle isn't this loud but essentially my truck sounds like this going down the road.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online