asked about just gas tanks, what about larger fuel tanks??

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunno, I didn't want to spend the money for the bronco unit. Only took a little time to set the sender. That was harder than lengthening the pickup line. Also, I don't think the Bronco uses the same fittings or connector.

BTW, you DON'T have to change the alignment. Mine fit just fine.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my bronco tank swap i had the bronco there that was getting parted out and it was the same year as my truck. it did have the smaller 2" hole on the pick up instead of the 3(something)" like the diesel and only a supply line. For the return I simply drilled a 3/8 hole beside the supply for my return, welded a 1/8npt street elbow on it and ran a short section of line into the tank.
The back part is about 2-4" off of the old cross-member so i took a piece of 2x2x 1/4 angle and welded it on my hitch brackets to hold the rear of the skid plate. The sending unit is accurate too with no modifications, just plugged it in.
Didnt have to be pretty, just work.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the 33 Gallon tank into my truck using nothing more than what came with it from the amazon purchase of the F26E; http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-F26E-Fuel-Pickup/dp/B000C7TW5K

It came with longer bolts for the SKIDPLATES that came on my truck, I REUSED the straps on top, REUSED the sender exactly as it came from the factory except I had to add a length of copper for the pick up(Which came with the tank) and change my float arm, which I used a coat hanger for.

So, the dip in the bottom for the pick up to sit is exactly where my factory one was, since the plates fit.

The tank fits tight due to the massive flanges around the edges. It is a Spectra part, which means it is built in Canada.
I'm not quite sure which tank you're talking about here - if you had a 39-gallon F26E available why would you use a 33-gallon F8D (Bronco tank)? In any case, the Bronco tank is indeed different from the factory tank in the areas I previously mentioned. Additionally, the Bronco tank has the sump in a very weird shape, it does not actually protrude below the tank bottom like the factory F-series tank has it - meaning while it is forward of where a truck would have it, it will not interfere with a truck skid plate, thus allowing reusing the truck skid plate. F-series pickup assembly's shape I made to work with the Bronco sump, it would have been possible to just extend the tubes straight down and be done with it, but bending them slightly forward to meet the Bronco seemed like a good idea.

Also, a bronco fuel sender & pickup assembly cannot be used as is because while it obviously fits the tank perfect it has two shortcomings - the fuel pump will need removal and bypassing somehow, and the engine supply line is only 5/16" while the IDIs use 3/8" supply line.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, guess I'll have to push my fill a bit further... Carry on. Somewhere along the line my information told me it was 33 gallons. Guess I didn't look close enough.

I guess once I verify I can stuff that much fuel in there, I'll go back and edit my posts. Sorry guys!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But what you have is the F26E tank right? Even if it is indeed only 33 gallons in capacity, the ease of installation you describe would make it a preferable choice for larger than stock tank, as opposed to the annoyance that is a Bronco tank. To be honest the only good thing about the Bronco tank design over a factory-style F-series tank (whether that's a standard 19-gallon unit or the deeper F26E one) is that it is narrower and thus provides somewhat better access to the frame rails for running additional harnesses and/or air lines to the rear of the truck - if that is not high on the priorities list my suggestion would be to pay the higher cost for the F26E tank and save oneself the pulling of hair that the Bronco tank install involves.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, according to Amazon, that is the tank I purchased in Sept. Of 2011. It is a fairly straightforward install, although you do have to remove then re-install the rear hitch receiver to get it in and out.

I have managed to over fill the rear tank, but unfortunately it was in the middle of a sandstorm and no receipts are available to determine how much I actually put in vs what was in there already.

Sorry again for the confusion, I did think it was interesting that everyone thought it was difficult when mine slammed right in. I can't remember where I got the idea for that tank though.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, I had a little less than a 1/4 tank the other night, and I proceeded to ad 32 gallons to the tank, so it does indeed seem to be a 38 gallon tank.

Party on with the big tank upgrade, guys!

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Did you paint it or anything before you installed it? My biggest worry is corrosion that's why I was thinking going with plastic tanks.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, we don't salt anything here, and there is some kind of oily coating on it from the factory. I did spray some of the exposed areas with a primer, but I'm not worried about it here.