asked about just gas tanks, what about larger fuel tanks??

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
is there any larger fuel tanks available for a '91 that doesn't cost $500 each? seeing as I have to do both i'd rather go with larger ones..

UMR_Engnr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt notice the tank only went to 89. I dont know what the difference is. They do sell sending units (#11 on the page) but your year is $430 vs $100 for previous years.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they sell a diesel pickup/sending unit? And they only list to 89. What's the difference.
Difference is in the size of the opening for the sending unit - most '80s trucks run external fuel pump so their senders are only about 2" around, '90s trucks have the fuel pump inside the tank which requires a larger opening (3-1/2" IIRC) so the pump drops down thru it.

That said, read thru this:
http://www.rosewooddieselshop.com/DZLJIM/Ford/38gallonOBStank.htm
Part # of the tank used is listed as F26E, it's made by Spectra and current price at RockAuto is under $165.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bronco tanks can in fact be used in pickup trucks, but not as a simple bolt-on affair - depending on how secure you wanna mount the tank it can actually get pretty involved (by adding the Bronco-specific crossmember and rock shield and such). Plus the F-series fuel pickup assembly needs to be reshaped in order to reach the proper spot in the Bronco tank, whereas on those double-capacity F-series tanks the sump is in the same spot as on the factory tank, just lower - a simple straight piece of tube will drop the showerhead (or whatever else you're using) right where you want it, no guesswork involved like with the Bronco tank...

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I made a Super Duty fuel tank work as my midship tank... it hangs down a little, but as long as it's an over-the-road truck, you wouldn't have a problem. And the sending unit is the same ohms as an OBS, so it wires right in.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Bronco tanks can in fact be used in pickup trucks, but not as a simple bolt-on affair - depending on how secure you wanna mount the tank it can actually get pretty involved (by adding the Bronco-specific crossmember and rock shield and such). Plus the F-series fuel pickup assembly needs to be reshaped in order to reach the proper spot in the Bronco tank, whereas on those double-capacity F-series tanks the sump is in the same spot as on the factory tank, just lower - a simple straight piece of tube will drop the showerhead (or whatever else you're using) right where you want it, no guesswork involved like with the Bronco tank...

can I just make 2 straps to hold it? will the diesel sending unit/pickup fit in the bronco tank?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I made a Super Duty fuel tank work as my midship tank... it hangs down a little, but as long as it's an over-the-road truck, you wouldn't have a problem. And the sending unit is the same ohms as an OBS, so it wires right in.

yeah I saw that, it's a bit lower than i'd like..

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can I just make 2 straps to hold it? will the diesel sending unit/pickup fit in the bronco tank?

Yes on the straps, in fact it seems most folks on the net do just that. However do keep in mind that the bronco tank is shorter front to back than the F-series tank, so it can be slid fore-aft between the frame rails by a few inches.

There is also the matter that the Bronco tank has the sump on the front of its bottom, whereas the F-series has it right smack in the middle. Because of this it seems like a good idea to give the Bronco tank a slight tilt towards the front, so the leading edge of its bottom (and thus the sump area) ends up more or less the lowest point.

As for the pickup assembly, yes yours will drop into a same-year Bronco tank. IIRC the clocking tabs position is off tho, maybe even 180 degrees off, thus pointing the fuel lines in the wrong direction - this is easily fixed by cutting two new slots in the tank for the tabs to clock the pickup assembly in the correct position, in that article I posted the guy had to do it with the F26E tank too and there is a picture of how it's done. Then when you extend the pickup tube you'll have to bend it a bit towards the front of the tank cause that's where the sump is now, bit of a trial and error to get it right.

Also, the bronco float arm swaps over to the F-series sender unit. But since the sender unit itself is not in the exact same place as the Bronco one in its factory form, some tweaking of the arm's shape will be needed to make the gauge read how you want it.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the 33 Gallon tank into my truck using nothing more than what came with it from the amazon purchase of the F26E; http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-F26E-Fuel-Pickup/dp/B000C7TW5K

It came with longer bolts for the SKIDPLATES that came on my truck, I REUSED the straps on top, REUSED the sender exactly as it came from the factory except I had to add a length of copper for the pick up(Which came with the tank) and change my float arm, which I used a coat hanger for.

So, the dip in the bottom for the pick up to sit is exactly where my factory one was, since the plates fit.

The tank fits tight due to the massive flanges around the edges. It is a Spectra part, which means it is built in Canada.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^jrad thanks for the link..i will be looking into this as i need to replace my rear tank/

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so what if someone was to just take the bronco sending unit and swap the diesel guts onver to it? then the float wouldnt need to be changed nor having to change the alignment of the sending unit, i think that would be much easier, i have swaped parts from sending units before but that was on modern day vehicles and it wasnt gas to diesel or vice versa