ARP Head studs (again)

brians

Reaction score
I've been reading up on all of the ARP-related threads but I'm unclear on one point - what's the best place to buy ARP studs for a 6.9?

Brian

brians

Reaction score
Here's a price summary.

Summit: $259.95 + $11.95 S&H = $271.90
Northern: $229.97 + $26.99 = $256.96 From their web site
Northern: $229.97 + $15.13 = $245.10 From their eBay ad

I guess Northern is the best deal.

Brian

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'll buy mine from Summit...I've dealt with them for years and if you have an issue, they'll take care of it...don't know about Northern

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Anyone know the part numbers for the washers, studs and nuts for the 7.3? I know they don't have a kit yet and I can't remember who has the part numbers wrote down.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I gotta write that down and pm him when it's time to get studs. Thanks sle2115!

The 6.9 has 7/16th studs and the 7.3 has 1/2" if I remember. Why doesn't ARP make a kit for the 7.3 but they do for a 6.9? Both engines had the same problems when a turbo was added.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I gotta write that down and pm him when it's time to get studs. Thanks sle2115!

The 6.9 has 7/16th studs and the 7.3 has 1/2" if I remember. Why doesn't ARP make a kit for the 7.3 but they do for a 6.9? Both engines had the same problems when a turbo was added.

Yeah, you have the sizes correct. I've wondered the same thing on the kits. The machine shop I used to work for is an authorized ARP reseller, I'm going to talk to him this week and see if he can make us a deal.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Part numbers for the 7.3 studs...
Studs.................AR7.00
12 piont nuts.....ARN12-1
washers............ARW78N
ARP makes a cheaper nut thats a 6 point. It works just as well as the 12 point. The studs are 7 inches long. Actually they are around 3/8 inch too long for our motors. When you tighten down the nuts the extra length of the stud sticks thru the deep socket and touches the internal parts rounding off the top threads. Its best if you can cut down the fine threads so this wont happen. If you have a lathe do it that way. If all you have is a belt sander or grinder take off the top three threads tapering the stud. This way you wont damage the threads. Do not cut down the bottom threads. This will not do anything for reducing the stud length. You could cut almost all the threads off the bottom and it still will be too long... The threads in the block determine how deep you thread the studs into the block. Plus the threads rolled on the stud are a depth determining factor too.

Last edited: