Are you an engine rebuilder? Some things you might want to know....

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
sweet there's even info in on a 345! :thumbsup:

with the "wrong t-stat in the 6.9" what's the correct t-stat to use? should i just get it from internnational to prevent any overheatng?? :confused:

-Jon

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The conventional wisdom here is that you need to use the Ford or IH thermostat. Many or maybe even all aftermarket stats are unacceptable because they have a bypass...which may be good in other applications but the 6.9 and 7.3 blocks already have a bypass internal to the block...doubling up on it can lead to cool temps on the coolant gauge but it is deceptive because the heads can develop hot spots and it effectively becomes like running the engine without a stat. In theory a thermostat with no bypass and the stock opening temp should be ok but no one really has wanted to risk engine damage to test it or save a few bucks. I think perhaps a couple folks have run the Stant thermostats but they do seem to behave differently than the factory ones.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is one proven aftermarket stat that Jim Williams has committed to memory, and tested extensively. It's a NAPA part number that is listed in the parts bin. Just the same, I stick to the Ford/IH ones.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
seesh after my trip to the machine shop realizing that they ordered ALL MY GASKETS i have about $500 in extra parts i can take back! there's another thing to throw in the retun box!! :rotflmao

-Jon :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online