Anything Better Then a 3G Upgrade

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, I already have a 3G alternator. It started charging at only 12.8 at high idle. If there's nothing available, I may just grab a junkyard unit and disassemble mine for diagnosis. Probably just needs a regulator.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:mad:When I replaced the serp belt, I had to get the larger ambulance belt. This should be interesting to find in the junkyard

Oreilley's website lists the Leece having a 8 rib belt. Mine is only 6.

Jet realized that this is a AZ $190 unit. I have nothing in my receipts, but I do remember one receipt with a different name on it. Can't find it now

Last edited:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oreilley's website lists the Leece having a 8 rib belt. Mine is only 6.

You can run a 6- or 7-rib belt on an 8-groove pulley.

You can also find all manner of pulleys to replace the 8-rib that is on the alternator.

I run the Leece-Neville 110-555 units; they are by far the most common and any decent truck-stop will have a few new replacement units on hand.

Of course, nobody in a ton-sized truck is likely to ever put enough miles on one to ever need another. ;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
You can run a 6- or 7-rib belt on an 8-groove pulley.

You can also find all manner of pulleys to replace the 8-rib that is on the alternator.

I run the Leece-Neville 110-555 units; they are by far the most common and any decent truck-stop will have a few new replacement units on hand.

Of course, nobody in a ton-sized truck is likely to ever put enough miles on one to ever need another. ;Sweet

I've changed quite a few LN alternators at work including my old 91 F250 4x4....I never put one back on - too expensive and hard to find locally.:dunno...I run a 94 taurus 3G on my 92, charges 15V all the time which is perfect when I'm running the plow or dump a lot.;Sweet

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those Taurus alternators are as pricey as my 3G:eek:

I'm still trying to find a way to get mine warranteed. Shamless, but did anyone buy theirs from AZ and can I get your name and number? :angel:

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
You know that a PSD 130 amp is bolt on right? assuming you have this style:

You must be registered for see images

And not this style:

You must be registered for see images attach

OTOH, the alternator that is currently on my truck got pulled up under my make,model and year....but the PN was for a 6.0 according to the monkey behind the counter.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leece Neville would be the way to go while the older style ambulances had 165 amp alternators it was the 7706JA style. The bottom bolt part is specific to Ford so if you were to get one of these from say like Advance Autoparts it would need to be specific to the application. It will not come with a pulley and the pulley would have to be transferred to the new alternator.

The only problem that I see is that the rectifiers are located inside the alternator and when one of these alternators goes bad it is usually bad rectifiers. The problem of having the rectifiers inside is they are being subjected to extreme amounts of heat. Leece Neville does make an external rectifier model but I am not sure of the model number. The rectifiers would then be placed in the cab under the seat. This will keep them away from the heat and the alternator would last a lot longer.

The best thing to do would be to contact Leece Neville customer service to see what model alternator would cross over from the 7706JA stye to the same mount but with external rectifiers. Make sure you mention it needs to have the FORD boss mount. I once bought one from Auto Zone and the alternator did not have the right mount so I wound up using the front of my old alternator housing to the one that Auto Zone sold me. I think this may have voided any and all warranties but that's ok because I took care of that another way :rotflmao and in the end I came out ahead.

Leece Neville Customer service number. If you do call them and ask for the info on the external rectifier model post the model back here for others.

http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_contact/contact_0.php

Corrrect Boss Mount image below

Incorrect Boss Mount image below

Although DB is showing the incorrect one as being correct and showing the correct one as also being correct. They are also showing these as new and I highly doubt that it is. I'm thinking that these are rebuilds because it is impossible to have these as new at these prices unless you build them with inferior parts.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also you will never find one while on a road trip. I had a leece on my truck when I built it, figured I would never have a problem,wrong, the rebuild parts are not as good as they used to be. Went out in Idaho friday at 4pm. :mad:
At least it was overcharging and I ran on batteries till it got down to 10 volts, park on a hill, hook it up, bump start if need be, when it hit 18v stop unhook it, I figured those batteries were goners but that was 3 years ago and they are still fine.cookoo

I use a 100 amp 1G with a heavy duty rectifier plate, bolt on wires not soldered. And an adjustable regulator set to 14.2v. I have pics somewhere of the rect.plate mod
I am going to do a 3G whenever this gives up, got 3 of them for 10 bucks each;Sweet

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94 Amp chevy three wire, $55 at Vatozone, lifetime drop and swap warranty.

$22 at NAPA for a gizmahatchi that converts it to a GM one wire...

Next up the list, will be either Tauri, or... 150 Amp GM three wire with my GIzmahatchi.

Its a plug, that plugs into the side of the alt, one of the wires, goes back to the "one wire" connector on the back, (12v hot).. and the other wire of the plug in, has a diode, or resistior,, sumthin, and it tess into the first wire of the plug. If and when my iPhone ever comesback to life, dead, dying and due for upgrade, I may just be out fo a fone for a few days....., I will shoot the gizmahatchi... and post a pic.

No receipt required ont he drop and swap, by the way, they pulled my number off their p.c. we swapped pulleys, and I had me a new currant bush under the hood of Clyde.

Alt I am using, don't, clocking is wrong, had to notch the fawk out of my fuel filter housing.... is (part # escapes me) for an 85 Riviera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online