anyone use Napa batteries?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was at napa today and asked them how much batteries cost for my truck. I was kind of surprised that the best grade of napa batteries were only about $88 or something - it sounded a little too close in price to the walmart ones i am getting ready to return in hopes of getting a full refund.
Across the street a local garage sells interstates for $122 - exact same cc amps and warranty but i am doubtful as to whether the napa's come close to the interstates in quality. Any comments?

thanks,
paul

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Alot of people run the Gold Top Duralast from Autozone with good results. Got one as the secondary battrey in my truck that the last owner put in about 9 years ago.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
napa has good batteries, i've used them before even though im not using them now. but thats only because the everstarts that came in the truck are still good. and i have an optima yellow top underthere also.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
back in the days when I was managing a NAPA store, they relabel Exide batteries as their own. NAPA will often change vendors when they get a better "deal".
My cost on Interstates is $90/ea. I about gaged when I got the price.

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used napa batterys for years and have not had any problems,I've put them in cars,trucks,and tractors. I have found that if a Autozone battery sits for a little bit it goes bad. And they pro-rate the heck out of the warrenty.The best one I ever had is a motorcraft I've had em last 7 years or longer. This is just my 2 cents worth

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
We've used the Legend 75's from NAPA for years. Grandpa had them on his 83 when my parents inherited it, and we ran them for years in that truck. Every set of them lasted 9 years or more.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I would spend the money and get the Interstates just because you know the quality is there.

Realistically the batteries may be very similar, but a higher markup on the Interstate (above manufacturing cost) because of their distribution system.

biounlimited

B.I.O Unlimited
Reaction score
Hey here is my two cents! My opinion is biased toward the "NAPA" products, as I am a sales rep here in Canada! I work for the Grande Prairie AB, branch. Eastpenn is the manufactuer for our batteries, here is a link for how they are made.

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/epm0193.pdf

Not sure how the other brands are constructed but I know ours are a very good design. If you are looking for an "Optima" style battery check out the Napa "AGM" series. Not a sales pitch, just some info for fellow vehicle owners!!

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had one go bad, it was a 24/84 warranty, it was now two years and two months old, I figured it would cost 3/4 the price of a new battery, a new $100 battery only cost me $28, I was a happy boy with NAPA.

Ain't gonna get a warranty price like that at Walley World. :eek:

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought one of my batteriesv at orielly and one at autozone..the autozone was higher cca and cost 10 dollars less even with the long warranty.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
ive herd good things about the autozone dura last batteries
in my truck i have the interstate workaholic group 31's and they are 04 and running strong but just waiting for the day when they take a crap

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont foget to tell Autozone about the walmart prices they actually matched the price got my golds for 79.99 ea 36/84 warranty.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Hey here is my two cents! My opinion is biased toward the "NAPA" products, as I am a sales rep here in Canada! I work for the Grande Prairie AB, branch. Eastpenn is the manufactuer for our batteries, here is a link for how they are made.

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/epm0193.pdf

Not sure how the other brands are constructed but I know ours are a very good design. If you are looking for an "Optima" style battery check out the Napa "AGM" series. Not a sales pitch, just some info for fellow vehicle owners!!
Thats funny I had a good feeling eastpenn made napa's batteries. I have a couple of group 31s from napa and the case just screams deka. Deka makes a hell of a good battery!

Crumm

No Comment
Reaction score
When it comes to batteries you only need to know one word -- Motorcraft !!!

I have the original set out of my 96' and thought they are not still in the 96' they are going strong in my 75' F250 plow truck. I installed a new set in my 96' a few years ago for peace of mind but now know that it was not necessary. Our 95' Explorer also still has the original Motorcraft battery. I have ran many other brands in numerous vehicles and equipment and never got this kind of service life out of any other battery.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
When it comes to batteries you only need to know one word -- Motorcraft !!!
They are outsourced as well.

I sold Deka's for years, no one around here seems to sell them anymore. They were one of the best batteries we ever sold, VERY few returns (and we sold several batteries a day). I had their cheapest battery in my little lawn tractor, set outside in an unheated building all winter, I rarely started it. That $20 battery lasted 5 years under those conditions...I was impressed. I like Interstates as well, sold them for years too, but had about the same results with both Deka and Interstates, very few returns, then half the returns weren't battery issues, but they don't want to argue with customers, so both reps said take them back, we'll cover them, so we did. IIRC, Johnson Controls makes Motorcraft. They make Duralast as well, and they make a pretty good battery also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online