Anyone swap back to throttle cable?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way a small metal pedal with a few plastic sensors and plugs should cost 397.23
I agree...although I firmly believe that mechanics...the majority of them, deserve to make a decent living as good or better than those that 'work' in a comfy, climate-controlled, air purified office...the prices on parts seem to me to represent only the fact that you 'gotta have them' in order to make your vehicle run and pass emission standards...

Case in point...a TPMS system that is malfunctioning will cost you dearly to fix...especially if you have tires that still have a lot of life in them...

Do you think that you are going to be able to de-mount your tires, put in new sensors, and then re-mount the tires and then balance them and have the tires not suffer any damage and/or be able to hold air when you are done..?

...just to not be nagged by the 'warning' display on the instrument panel...?

Screw that...I can work a tire guage...and any driver out there ought to be able to do the same...should be one of the first tasks to be learned before you get your drivers license...

This whole culture of having everything 'done for you' is turning the driving public into a bunch of clueless you-know-whats...

Sorry guys...pet peeve...you know how it is...

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think that you are going to be able to de-mount your tires, put in new sensors, and then re-mount the tires and then balance them and have the tires not suffer any damage and/or be able to hold air when you are done..?
Most definitely, only time I go to a tire shop is if I notice a low tire when I'm at work. I do wish that I had a tire machine, I do all of mine with a slide bead breaker and tire irons. Only time I have tires balanced is when I notice a vibration.

On the TPMS, last vehicle I had with them I used a hammer to remove the sensors so it didn't require as much weight to get the tires balanced.

James

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No fear of drive by wire, it's just junk. Simple cable has worked forever, now replaced by 2 or more failure points followed by throttle lag and rely on a copper wire to transmit a signal easily chewed through by rodents. Not all truck owners live in the city. We can go back and fourth on that one all day and never reach a resolution of opinion I'm sure. I'm 36 and the majority of vehicles I grew up with were drive by wire and never been fond of it. Just another way of making sure average Joe doesn't want to work on his own vehicle so some shop can take him for all he has. IL take the advise to use oem cause it makes since. Never used amazon stuff on my trucks but guilty of using chain stores products such as auto zone napa and orilys. I just hate stealership prices cause they are no better than the mechanics about overcharging. No way a small metal pedal with a few plastic sensors and plugs should cost 397.23
you can source oem quality parts on the internet if you know what to look for. A dealership probably doesn't even stock parts anymore for trucks that are at least 21 years or older now.

throttle lag? nope

precise fueling, timing, etc to get maximum power and economy? yup

I've got over 500k miles between both my 7.3 PSD and they've never left me stranded. I've replaced the CPS and ICP on my 97 once with international replacement parts. I've replaced the EOT sensor once on my 99 also with an oem international part. Both trucks are still on original injectors, getting 18+ mpg on the highway.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
you can source oem quality parts on the internet if you know what to look for. A dealership probably doesn't even stock parts anymore for trucks that are at least 21 years or older now.

throttle lag? nope

I've got over 500k miles between both my 7.3 PSD and they've never left me stranded. I've replaced the CPS and ICP on my 97 once with international replacement parts. I've replaced the EOT sensor once on my 99 also with an oem international part. Both trucks are still on original injectors, getting 18+ mpg on the highway.
Yes throttle lag. My 2016 6.7 has throttle lag, my 07 5.3 ls tahoe has throttle lag, my 97 ps has throttle lag. Can't argue facts. My 97 5.7 tahoe doesn't have throttle lag and neither does any of my 6.9 or 7.3 idi's have throttle lag and I'm up to 13 of those in my fleet alone. And you can argue all you want and deny the irrefutable FACTS, but that in itself doesn't change the FACT that drive by wire has throttle lag or else there wouldn't be specific tunes to minimize throttle lag!

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes throttle lag. My 2016 6.7 has throttle lag, my 07 5.3 ls tahoe has throttle lag, my 97 ps has throttle lag. Can't argue facts. My 97 5.7 tahoe doesn't have throttle lag and neither does any of my 6.9 or 7.3 idi's have throttle lag and I'm up to 13 of those in my fleet alone. And you can argue all you want and deny the irrefutable FACTS, but that in itself doesn't change the FACT that drive by wire has throttle lag or else there wouldn't be specific tunes to minimize throttle lag!
throttle lag? nope

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
throttle lag? nope

Yup throttle lag. Gale banks, sct, adrenaline, stealth, bullydog, throttle max, and many more make chips, obd2 plugs, and hardwire kits specifically for throttle lag for drive by wire on not just powerstrokes but for MANY diesels and gassers alike.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Sounds like you have had a bad run of parts. Try an oem one from a junk yard? That system is relatively trouble free, have replaced far more idi throttle cables than pedal assy, or tps sensors in the 7.3 powerstroke.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup throttle lag. Gale banks, sct, adrenaline, stealth, bullydog, throttle max, and many more make chips, obd2 plugs, and hardwire kits specifically for throttle lag for drive by wire on not just powerstrokes but for MANY diesels and gassers alike.
throttle lag? nope

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
throttle lag? nope

Throttle lag? Yup.
Obvious troll that can't accept a fact when presented evidence? Also yup!
Everyone on the market, as well as the engineers who make the vehicles, as well as everyone else who owns a drive by wire vehicle can't be wrong except you.

Last edited:

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Sounds like you have had a bad run of parts. Try an oem one from a junk yard? That system is relatively trouble free, have replaced far more idi throttle cables than pedal assy, or tps sensors in the 7.3 powerstroke.
Yeah, tried that rout a good while back. It was already bad as soon as I got it into my truck. Already bought one from the stealership. Guess il just have to see how long this one lasts. That's odd you've had to replace many throttle cables on those idis. Had all mine for quite some time and never had to replace but one of mine. And it still only costed 35 bucks. Had to basically add a 0 behind that price to replace this one this particular time.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
What problems are you having?
Quite literally just a dead pedal out of nowhere. Let off and hit it again, nothing still. Turn truck off and back on, still dead pedal. Unplug and plug back in, still nothing. Replace it, works for a week or a few months, then dead pedal again. Rinse, re-purchase, repeat. Did a zf5 swap just a month or so ago and took the pcm, wiring harness from ENTIRE donor truck from headlight to tail light, underhood and under dash(under dash looked like a rat nest, and figured wiring was an issue causing the dead pedal repeat problems, also where I got my used pedal from that was also dead) now my guage cluster functions and everything worked as it should, except the throttle till I just got the stealership pedal assymbly. But for how long is my question? Keep running into the same issue.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
throttle lag? nope

Throttle lag, yup!
Still trolling, yup!
Anything else useful to say rather than argue against a well known fact? Nope!
Any brains other than to repeat yourself like an overgrown child not getting their way? Nope!
Think you know more than the engineers who designed the trucks as well as think you know more than anyone else in the world even though you cannot explain why there's so many different products to correct throttle lag in drive by wire vehicles that you claim doesn't exist? Obviously!
Have your own business making products to improve any aspect of any vehicle? Nope! But you will still deny they exist even though they are still in business and you are just another troll spouting misinformation on a forum and disregarding a fact and yet still haven't answered my question and instead just keep reposting the same misinformation cause the fact doesn't go with your narrative and obviously you have a problem with that. Your not special, and just because you say the same thing over and over again doesn't make it so

Last edited:

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will throw my experience in on this. I don't believe what you're experiencing would be considered throttle lag, it is just the way the factory tuning is. With good tuning the turbo lag is all I experience, I currently have 2 obs 7.3's and 2 superduty 7.3's and just recently sold my other superduty due to major rust issues.

I cannot speak for any drive by wire gas vehicles because I refuse to own anything with a modular block engine.

As for all of your failing sensors, and with what you have said has already been changed. Only thing I can think of to check out would be to make sure that all of your grounds are good. My other thought would be to make sure your alternator is only producing clean DC voltage, any AC output from the alternator will cause all kinds of sensor and pcm malfunctions.

James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online