Anyone running an electric fuel pump?

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you filtering it before it hits the pump? I was thinking of running my already existing gas pump it pushes 90PSI but take it and regulate down to 30-50PSI, Id love to get rid of the filter head up on the motor and move it to the frame but dont know if it can handle that much PSI.

That way the IP doesnt have to work that hard in the prestage since it builds the pressure to 60PSI before it goes to the final injection phase of 1800psi and some odd...

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
upping the pressure supply to your IP advances your timing, you could run into serious trouble giving it more than 10psi.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
^What he said...

I run a Facet Dura-Lift on my truck. It runs at 7.5psi (not regulated, just where it runs). It has a built in strainer and sight bowl.

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the carrier pump on our truck with no prefilter. All seemed well until something happened to the engine, we are now junking the whole truck.

Our truck was a beater. Fuel would drain back after being off with the stock setup and there was some kind of fluid breach near a gas tank. We also had the dreaded broken sender pickups.

The electric pump transformed the truck. No more issues purging, and after install I ran out of fuel on a tank a few times. Once on a hill. Parked it, switched tanks, waited 10 seconds and it fired right up :)

Also cold starts were like a different world. I used to waste the first cycle of glowplugs because the truck would purge the air out and try and stumble to life. I just waited 10 seconds with key on, then hit my glowplug switch for 10 seconds and bam the truck would start right up. Never worried about getting the truck started hot or cold ever after the electric pump install. I didn't know any better when I first picked up the truck and killed the batteries more than once trying to get the truck to fire sometimes. My starter was used and abused.

wmoguy

Reaction score
IIRC anything over 7psi starts to advance your timing. Over 15psi and your IP will live a very short life.

I have an electric pump now. LOVE IT! I redid all my fuel lines today and you gotta love purging the system out with an electric pump vs. mechanical! I don't have a prefilter on mine, and not really worried about it either. I'm regulated down to 6psi on my setup. I was fiddling with it today, and watching the pressure guage, and messing with the pressure regulator @ Idle I could hear a difference as I upped the pressure. @ about 9psi the engine gained a little RPM and started to clatter more. By 15psi I had gained RPMs noticeable and no doubt about it I had advanced the timing for certain.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thing I asked so as long as it around 7 psi it'll be fine, As for a return line from the regulator is it ok to use the injector return line or does it need a separate line too? I have a 3/8 return line now.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Good thing I asked so as long as it around 7 psi it'll be fine, As for a return line from the regulator is it ok to use the injector return line or does it need a separate line too? I have a 3/8 return line now.

When I installed my electric pump a week ago, I originally plumbed my bypass into my return line (which is 1/4") but the pump I have is too beasty, and I flat out could NOT get my fuel pressure at the fuel filter BELOW 10psi. Yesterday I ended up redoing my setup to have a 3/8" return line and T'd my return lines off at the back of the engine into that 3/8" return. That worked in getting my fuel pressure in check.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you guys tapping in for electrical supply, that is hot during cranking.
I even thought about wiring up a separate switch, independent of any other system.

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score

just stick with a holley red. they are internally regulated at 7.p.s.i and they are rebuildable. it will turn your truck into a whole new animal