Anyone run Rotella 15w40

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Well I read through that thread and was not impressed with all the bafoonery going on.

One guy had a seal leak which obviously could not have been caused by the auto-Rx. Then decided to bad mouth the product because he couldn't get his way. (He was obviously born with a silver spoon in his mouth)

All the other posting in there was just supposedly copy and paste stuff.
Are you really going to believe that?

I have not used auto-rx, nor do I endorse it. Will I use it? Absolutely.
Are there other products to use? Yes.

Marvel mystery oil works.
ATF works.
Seafoam works.

A lot of the old threads seem that way. Idk what was going on.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
A lot of the old threads seem that way. Idk what was going on.

Maybe there's been a chemical change or something.

It's just like reading about "hot shots secret vs revX."

The one's selling it will talk it up for obvious reasons. But unlikely to happen if it really is such a bad product.

It'd be like if I put natural spring water in a special bottle and said, hey this stuff will gain you 3mph running speed, last longer in bed, make you smarter, and detox your body. (Obviously some of those facts are true, and will make a difference since you wouldn't be drinking pop all the time. But that's besides the point)
Would people buy it? Damn right they would.
But once people figured it out, it wouldn't sell anymore.

Definitely off topic. But that's how I feel about it.

(Looks around at these empty water bottles *thinks to self, hmmm... should I?* :LOL )

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Interesting thread for sure.

I have Rotella in my van currently (stored for winter now anyways), i'm gonna put some Valvoline Premium Blue in it when I pull it out of storage though. That's what I run in all my engines anyways. Gas or diesel. My 7.3 did 377k miles on Valvoline blue, and only took 2 quarts per oil change interval (3k). And most of that was probably leaking out to..

My van eats oil like theres no tomorrow though. Even worst when I make it work. Can't wait to try Valvoline in 'er, see the difference.

My motorhome on the other hand. Valvoline or Rotella, doesn't make a single difference. It burns 2 quarts per interval ( 3k ) no matter what.

Guess i'll be staying the heck away from Rotella now after being in this thread! :D Only used the stuff a few times anyways when I couldn't find my Valvoline.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll agree with Rotella T6 5W40 being a good oil but with my experience with rotella 15W40 I shun all Rotella oils.

I have an amsoil licence and am a John Deere parts supplier (our farm has shelves locked up stocked with JD parts due to nice central location) so I will be sticking with oil from those 2 and Chevron Delo 400 (didnt realize there are 2 Delo 400's, I'll be sure I dont pick up the LE).

The only part that confuses me about the list is they dont have Amsoil Diesel/Marine 15W40 on there. I would like to know where it stands.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
here you go.

Gosh, I've always just LOVED those real important looking *tests* designed to make a certain oil look better than others, but they only test a very small number of things that are really not so important in a lubricant so the ones that they want to come out on top score high in those catagories that they choose to show. then they spend 2 pages editorializing with their opinions and call that a *test, instead of running a normal standardized lubricant test that covers all kinds of things including a number of active destructive tests that actually *show* the different lubricants abilities to perform, which would end up with an entirely different outcome.

nine9six

Desmo Inside
Reaction score
Well just to be safe I'm going to buy a different oil locally. I'll see if I can return the Rotella since it already shipped. I don't know enough about this stuff to sift through the BS, to be honest.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy what makes financial sense and run it. Ive maintained so many different fleet vehicles with what ever kinda oil you can think of to realize that its the service interval and maintaining it that makes the most difference. THe biggest problem people have with industrial or commercial diesel engines is that they dont get used the way they are designed for, I.E. they dont reach proper operating temp, rather than the oil they are using. It amazes me how many people buy diesel trucks for just commuting. They dont get worked hard enough, thats where trouble sets in. People spend way to much time worrying about what oil they are using...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Jhnlennon: That's spot on.
That's why I don't baby diesel's. And don't care much about the mileage while I'm doing it. Rather run it hard and get a bad mileage than baby it and have it blow up or something.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the negative comments about Rotella (I haven't seen any real evidence of what is wrong with it). My truck has exclusively had Rotella 3P 15W40 in summer, 10W30 winter, and this winter I used T6 for the first time. I have zero issues with the oil, no leaks, and consumption is minimal. Currently at 245,000 km, I change every 5000 km and it might be down 1 - 1.5 liters. I love Rotella products and would not hesitate to continue to use them. I do have an open mind to try something else if there is some obvious benefit.

Sorry for the metric for you neighbors to the south...:D.

I also typically use Fram oil filters but I guess we won't go there??

nine9six

Desmo Inside
Reaction score
Okay, well...lol, I guess I'll use it, monitor the consumption, and do a somewhat early flush and see how it goes. Sorry If I'm sounding like I'm trying to be a PITA. I assure you I'm not.

I'm just not as knowledgeable about these things as everyone else here, and I'm still learning.

I appreciate everyone's input.

nine9six

Desmo Inside
Reaction score
I bought the Motorcraft FL1995...I think. It's the one for the PSD that holds an extra quart. I figured it'd be good because it's Motorcraft.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the Motorcraft FL1995...I think. It's the one for the PSD that holds an extra quart. I figured it'd be good because it's Motorcraft.

A minimum requierment of quality. Not a bad filter, just a standard filter, nothing fancy.

Javier

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, well...lol, I guess I'll use it, monitor the consumption, and do a somewhat early flush and see how it goes. Sorry If I'm sounding like I'm trying to be a PITA. I assure you I'm not.

I'm just not as knowledgeable about these things as everyone else here, and I'm still learning.

I appreciate everyone's input.

I'll watch your reports, I was thinking of an Auto RX with Rotella, the simple reason is if it's burning it...it's getting past rings...thus that AUTO RX will work it's way into ringlands and clean as well...I was contemplating a double run....Rotella Auto RX, Napa oil rinse, Rotella Auto RX, Napa rinse then swap to Full synthetic, Amsoil preferred...

Just my thoughts...as I can get two 18 L pails for 52 bucks each...

any one got suggestions?