anyone replace the stock fuel-line tubing?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 89 f250 has some kind of tubing for the fuel line and i was thinking about replacing it because i have to drop my tank again and it would be helpful if i had regular fuel line hose for some projects i want to do. Can you just slide 3/8" fuel line over the tank pickup and get rid of the tubing stuff? or does it need to be a different size?
thanks,
Paul

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have that stiff plastic tubing that is pretty much standard, the draw line is 3/8 and the return is 5/16.

I have, in the past, simply double-clamped the appropriate size hose over the slick plastic tubing; I ran it that way for years with no negative issues.

Another thing I learned is that, by carefully removing the plastic tubing from the little plastic coupler thingies, you will reveal a barbed nipple to which plain old hose can be clamped.

As I have three tanks, manual valves on both draw and return lines, an electric-pump in a by-pass line, numerous extra filtering devices, etc., I only have two short sections (well, actually four) of the plastic-tubing still in use, the draw- and return-lines immediately attached to the factory tanks.

I am soon going to figure out how to replace the plastic gizmos with good metal JIC fittings and do away with the plastic for good.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have that stiff plastic tubing that is pretty much standard, the draw line is 3/8 and the return is 5/16.

I have, in the past, simply double-clamped the appropriate size hose over the slick plastic tubing; I ran it that way for years with no negative issues.

Another thing I learned is that, by carefully removing the plastic tubing from the little plastic coupler thingies, you will reveal a barbed nipple to which plain old hose can be clamped.

As I have three tanks, manual valves on both draw and return lines, an electric-pump in a by-pass line, numerous extra filtering devices, etc., I only have two short sections (well, actually four) of the plastic-tubing still in use, the draw- and return-lines immediately attached to the factory tanks.

I am soon going to figure out how to replace the plastic gizmos with good metal JIC fittings and do away with the plastic for good.

so 3/8" fuel line hose will fit over the feed tubing with no trouble? that would work just as well for me.

thanks,
paul

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can get the plastic, but it's a royal pain to install. Have to heat up the ends in hot water to get them to fit over the barb fittings and when they cool, they conform to the shape of the things

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get the plastic, but it's a royal pain to install. Have to heat up the ends in hot water to get them to fit over the barb fittings and when they cool, they conform to the shape of the things
Yup Yup... my local napa and Knechts has sections of this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online