Anyone Need Some Parts???

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
It can happen after any plug work. The issue is, especially on the earlier engines, there is only like 3 or 4 THREADS of ALUMINUM in the head the spark plug screws into. It does not take much torque to strip the head. I have heard of a few spitting plugs out, but I know for certain that on Dad's truck it was caued by a plug change. I would say, look up all the info you can, and go "by the book". Treat it like you ARE going to strip it out and be gentle, and you should be ok. I do know they make heli-coils for these, but I have heard of varied results with those......

94 non stroker

Reaction score
the heli coils work fine i have a 99 150 with the 5.4 and it has 2 of the heli coils in it and they havent gave me any types of problems goin on 30,000+

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I'm worried about a plug snapping while trying to take it out and getting pieces in the cylinder. Best to do the plug change while the engine is dead cold right?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure about the temp. I know it is not a spark plug that breaks, but the threads in the head itself.... they strip when they are torqued in..... I have not changed one. I did look at a 97 Expedition and the salesman looked at me funny when I reached in and wiggled all 8 plugs/coils. One was loose and I just walked away......

BTW - Bring my truck back...... it does look just like mine.......

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be interested in the PS pump if it's any good. Not sure what a fair offer is. i would definitely cover 100% of the shipping plus give you a little something for it. I think the reman ones at box auto parts stores are around $40.00 plus a core charge, and I spent about the same for a used one, and it was the least leaky out of the lot, but it's beginning to look like it's time is getting to be about up. I'm going to send you a pm.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a problem. Just need your address andI'll drop it off to you. BTW, I'll leave the payment book on the driver's seat for you too... :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Well, if that is the case, I will let you keep it. I have a payment book to go along with mine also, I don't think I could afford to pay for 2 at once.....:rotflmao:rotflmao

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Kenneth, just so you know your 01 has the old 5.4 that has the plug spitting issue, not the plug separation issue that didn't start till 05 when some idiot (read engineer) decided that they should use a 3 piece spark plug... I do not look forward to doing that on my dads truck... too bad you're so far away or else i'ld take the toolbox off your hands but shipping would cost more than I can afford at this point in time.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
rjjp,

His actually has the 6.something V10 Gas Motor, and some of them have the spark plug spitting issue. My dad had a 97 LD F-250 with the 5.4 and it has a new passenger side head on it..... I understand his consern.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
rjjp,

His actually has the 6.something V10 Gas Motor, and some of them have the spark plug spitting issue. My dad had a 97 LD F-250 with the 5.4 and it has a new passenger side head on it..... I understand his consern.

6.8L V10. The V10 did have the "spitting issue", but from what I've read and researched, it seems it was more common in the 5.4L V8. :dunno

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
<BUMP>

I'm headed to Bend this weekend and just trying to find out if anyone needs any parts. PS pump is spoken for and tailgate may be sold too. I still have an alternator, starter, radiator, IP (worked when pulled, but selling as a "core" just in case), and lots of other parts. I have to clean out the storage units and haul what's left down here to CA, so make any reasonable offer for what you need.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
How about the starter shipped to 35235?

Thanks

I estimated the starter at 15 lbs. to get these prices from usps.com so the rate may change just a little based on the actual weight. If these shipping prices work for you, just PM me an offer on the starter and I can ship it on 04/12/2010 after I get off work.

Priority Mail® Large Flat Rate Box
USPS Supplied Large Box: 12" x 12" x 6" 2 days $14.50

Priority Mail® Medium Flat Rate Box
USPS Supplied Medium Box:
13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" 2 days $10.70

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
<<<BUMP>>>

I'm in Bend right now. Let me know what you need and I can grab it while I'm up here. I didn't make it last weekend due to work, but will be cleaning out the storage unit tomorrow and headed back to California tomorrow evening.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online