anyone know street sweepers??

rthomas

Reaction score
im in the early stages of shopping for a new sweeper and im not 100% sure what to get, right now we have a old elgin eagle and i dont think id get new one if it was made twice as well as the old one :puke: :puke:
im thinking the broom bear is about the best thing for what we need and is reasonable to maintain, last year we rented a road wizzard for a few months it was very impressive to run but was hell to maintain and was too large to use in culdesacs and alleys.
90% of what i do is sweeping after a pavement mill so it needs to be strong enough for that but i dont want the repair nightmares of the eagle or the road wizzard

rthomas

Reaction score
this ,click on broom sweepers and thats what i have to choose from. we have one of those 3 wheel lay-mors but we need a new pickup broom

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Have you considered Tymco , Johnston or schwarze? We have them all here at the city of hampton, VA. And they all seem to be great machines the elgins and sunvacs had to go.

rthomas

Reaction score
tymco and schwarze make exellent vacuum sweepers, but because of the contracts we have we need a broom, one of the other local milling co. had a schwarze m6000 (broom) and had nothing but problems with it. if johnson made a sweeper that would dump in a dump truck id consider it.
im pretty sold on the broom bear, im just a little nervous when it comes to spending $150000+ on a new truck, no one else at work has any decent knoledge of sweepers so its more or less up to me to decide what to buy, plus the BB comes on a conventional chassis ;Sweet and the others are cabover :puke:

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
We like the cab over chassis they have a much tighter turn radius than a conv. The tymco regenerative air is the only one we have that can really dump in a truck and one one seems to like the idea. We are a local gov so we sweep the streets and dump in the operations yard and haul the waste to the dump in a tandem.

rthomas

Reaction score
you guys must have a 600 forward high dump, i used to run one of those when i worked for a co. that had a lot of municipal contracts.
i do agree the coe has a good turning radius, but im always in and out of the cab so the conv. is a plus for me. working for a local gov. your probly familiar with asphalt grinding and the huge amount of matierial is left behind the mill, when im working behind our 7' mills i can easily fill the sweeper 10 times in an hour

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Yeap it is a forward high dump no one really likes it but us mechanics. When we mill we just run one sweeper behind the mill till it is full then another will take over and that one will go dump and so on. We found this to be much quicker than dumpping in a taddem and just using one sweeper. So we use the tandems for the asphalt millings and just keep the sweepers rolling.

rthomas

Reaction score
wow, your operators are lucky- ive got to do it all myself, but i know the dump cycle on the FHD is pretty slow compared to the side dumpers.
if you guys ever buy a broom never get a elgin eagle, its got to be the worst design on the market, i call ours "the bad idea" while sweeper shopping i asked about the new ones and they still use the same lower roller and berings that our '93 uses- a pair of 2 bolt web mount berings that bolt to the side of the conveyor and the bolt heads sit nicely in the track of the edge of the belt, so they get worn away and sometimes before that happens the weak 2 bolt bering casing will break at the holes :puke: (im doing this today) why they couldnt use stronger flange mount berings? or at least a 4 bolt web mount?