Anyone know old paint codes?

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That 83 year old guy you mentioned seems very interesting and I much appreciate conversations with elderly people like that to learn things I didn't know and hear some fascinating stories.

A couple of questions/comment(s).

1) ?Get a good Duplicolor Paint Code sheet or two (as required) for Ford exterior paint colors from that era, making sure that the options for Blue are all on them show it to the previous owner and see if he recognizes which paint he chose.

and..
Has the paint been on long enough that the weather or sun exposure may have changed the tint very slightly?

I assume that there is some significant WAX on that paint, how much or how old I have no idea but I think that might affect visual perception of the tint. Is the paint color supposed to be matched to an area that is free of wax and was that the case when you attempted to match it using that machine gizmo?

Up to the point where you last posted, (actually the post where you mentioned experimenting with the Rust-oleum blue), I would select the closest automotive paint color if that one seemed slightly darker. If you use the Rust-Oleum make SURE that it's automotive paint or compatible with high quality automotive paints. It's something that I was advised of long ago, (1979) relating to Rust-Oleum primers and high quality automotive paints. That may have changed but I would advise to double check to make SURE in case you or the next owner wants to apply some expensive automotive paint only to find out the hard way that there is a compatibility problem with the paint you choose now.

[Edited to add]. I think that the color of the primer used could affect the final color appearance. For that blue it would have probably been a medium to light grey. There should be a specification for the primer to go with the paint. The first car that I ever painted was in an auto body shop school back in like 1966? The color was a GM Metallic Blue and the primer as I recall was a medium grey, darker than the light grey primers I often find in spray paint cans today. I seem to recall that the primer color was also mixed to the correct shade of grey. So, I think that the tint of the primer is sometimes very important to get the exact visual appearance/color or tone that you want in the final paint paint job. <End of edit>

I would like to point you and others to a paint chip comparison site much much better than the one you posted and others that I've looked at. I found it looking for Harvester and Navistar colors. For FORD it shows color code variations of THE SAME NAMED COLORS that vary from each other in shade, tint or tone (whatever the proper term is) so there are more variations of "Blue" colors with the same names and the visual differences are determined in the OEM Paint Codes.
There is a huge index at the top with many many manufacturers of cars and trucks and the years (for Fords anyway)are from 1929 to present.
I should go back and look to see if the 29 models really are "all black."

This URL starts with the first page of the 1985 Ford Truck Colors:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisplay.cgi?year=1985&manuf=Ford&smodel=Ford Truck&info=&page=6

If it doesn't help you, it might help others reading this topic thread. This is the one I am going to when I get to the final stages of preparation and saving money to paint my truck.

Last edited:

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the old Grabber Blue on the 70 Mach 1.
You must be registered for see images attach

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bahama Blue is another possibility.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance