Anyone know how to adjust or turn down a 7.3L pump?

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I have a 1988 Ford F-250 Extended Cab 4X4 with a 6.9L and C6 automatic transmission. I put a 7.3L injector pump on it because I was told it would put a little extra pressure to my injectors, thus increasing my power and mpg (Junk yards will say anything to make a sale won't they?!?). I'm overfueling the engine now, and it blows out a lot of black smoke when I stand on the throttle or pull a grade. Is there a way to turn down the fuel rate on that 7.3L injector pump, or do I just need to go buy a 6.9L injector pump? This is my first diesel, but I am sure it won't be my last.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I beleive if you look in the tech article you'll find a how to turn one up its all the same but turn the screw CC to turn it down

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually they told you the truth at the Junkyard. Bad thing is that the extra fuel usually becomes black smoke unless you have a turbo or some other way to force more air in teh intake. If its a lot of black smoke you probably need to turn it down1/4-1/2 flat maybe. Not too much or you won't like the result. Some smoke is normal on these motors, especially hard acceleration up a grade under load.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother turning it down. Keeping your foot out of the accelerator will do the same thing. YOU MUST install a pyrometer though, before you do too much uphill driving or towing. Making sure the pump is properly timed is key also.