Anyone have source for reman engines?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey that thing has like 300k plus of abuse and neglect and hard usage, poor truck

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should consider going brand new as the original 6.2 and 6.5 had issues with the block casting. There's an Optimizer 6500 updated version that was developed for AM General that is supposed to be much improved.

The 6.5 gets a bad rap for not being super durable, but it's hard to dispute the power and fuel mileage that you can get out of one in a 1/2 ton chassis.

Good luck whichever way you end up going.

Black dawg

Reaction score
The 6.2 and 6.5 just won't (and weren't built to) take the abuse a 7.3 will, but I have had quite a few of them and really like them....not for heavy (10k+) towing though.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Hey that thing has like 300k plus of abuse and neglect and hard usage, poor truck
I saw one that has 309,000 miles on it. The rest were usually ready for a different engine between 150,000 and 200,000 miles.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say if you goose the optimizer with a cam, injectors, turbo, pumps and all the things it will rip (unloaded) but I wouldnt tow with one. They are good for fuel economy in a people hauler and light towing without hills. Also if you build one your 4l80e is gonna leave the chat......... If you ever get one stud it, if you don't your stuck at 12 psi and that's not any fun

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No thanks. I'll be fine as long as I stay FAR away from any 6.2/6.5. After working on our engines, those things look like an afterthought.

So they about as bad or worse than a gas engine with displacement on demand? Only diesel Iv really messed with out a gm is a 3116 or duramax.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was considering one before I bought my dually. For me it was a choice of what I'm using it for. I would have gone with a clean squarebody with a 6.2 for daily driving (mpg) but I wanted to tow so I chose the 7.3 and have never once regretted it.

I'm glad I didn't get one after working on one for a friend of mine. What kind of knucklehead puts the IP underneath the intake manifold when it's not necessary?! Almost like they wanted them to be hard to work on.

Plus, I've never heard of someone snapping a 7.3 crank under normal use. I'm sure it's happened to someone, but it's not normal like I've heard about the 6.2.....

I almost put a 7.3 in a suburban though, kinda regret NOT doing that LOL

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get around 20 mpg out of a stock 6.5 in a suburban around 65 mph sometimes better worse if towing. Once you put the go fast parts on it will fall to around 18 maybe less maybe more

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So they about as bad or worse than a gas engine with displacement on demand?
From what I've heard about displacement on demand, yes just in a different way.
For me it was a choice of what I'm using it for. I would have gone with a clean squarebody with a 6.2 for daily driving (mpg)
That's the ONLY good thing about them.
What kind of knucklehead puts the IP underneath the intake manifold when it's not necessary?! Almost like they wanted them to be hard to work on.
As far as I've seen, that was the entire input of GM on the Duramax too. The injector lines run right over the top of the valve covers. At least they do on the one or two that I've seen.
You can get around 20 mpg out of a stock 6.5 in a suburban around 65 mph sometimes better worse if towing.
That's low compared to the 6.2. I was told, by someone who drove one, that with a 4X2, manual transmission, and a 6.2, you could get 26-27 MPG out of one, driving empty. That was in the speed limit 55 days so that's a factor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online